I’ve always loved the theatricality of makeup, and by that I mean more than just its ability to alter our appearance (the WHIZZ! BAM! POP!), but also how something as seemingly insignificant as a tube of lipstick can completely change the way we feel and how we see ourselves.
Take today’s Unsung Hero, the mighty MAC Lipstick in Bombshell ($14.50). One minute with it on, and I feel my inner Mary Ann turning into Ginger!
Sometimes this frosty golden pink gets typecast as a “Barbie pink,” and it’s not hard to see why. Like Barbs, she can be quite flirty and fun, but this Bombshell is also capable of playing other roles, like seductive siren/Bond girl. 🙂
While Barbie cruises the PCH in her pink convertible, Bombshell tests her Masarati on the streets of Monaco. Girlfriend werks a pair of four-inch patent-pink Louboutins and a black tank dress. She’s on her way to a high-stakes poker game to gather intel, her slick ponytail whipping in the wind as she takes every turn a little too fast. Although her mind is on her mission, she recalls the brief but witty exchange she had with a charming billionaire last night. She wouldn’t mind getting to know him better, but now is not the time.
LOL! Yeah, that’s my Bombshell. Sure, she’s pink and girly, but she might just kick your @ss.
One of my favorite things about this color is how it flatters so many different skin tones. The pink’s a little on the cool side, but I think the golden frost warms it up just enough for gals like me.
Bombshell isn’t like those frosty lipsticks that look trapped in 1987. MAC handled the frost in a timeless, almost classically interesting way that steers clear of the land of big bangs, lace-trimmed biker shorts and oversized Forenza sweatshirts.
Some unsolicited advice from someone who survived the ’80s: Don’t do it!
As for the texture? Flawless. It downright refuses to feather, while still building easily with layers.
Some gals find the MAC frost lipsticks to be somewhat drying. If your lips crave major moisture, you might start with a layer of rich lip balm on bare lips first.
While I love, LOVE Bombshell on its own, I think it looks just as hot beneath other glosses, especially peachy pinks, a la MAC Evolution Revolution Lipglass. 🙂
The MAC Unsung Heroes series features some of my favorite products from MAC’s permanent collection
- MAC Unsung Heroes: Sunbasque Sheertone Shimmer Blush
- MAC Unsung Heroes: Clear Lipglass
- MAC Unsung Heroes: Humid Eyeshadow
- MAC Unsung Heroes: Naked Lunch Eyeshadow
- MAC Unsung Heroes: Russian Red Lipglass
- MAC Unsung Heroes: Syrup Lipstick
- MAC Unsung Heroes: MAC Blushbaby Blush
- MAC Unsung Heroes: MAC Vex Eyeshadow
- MAC Unsung Heroes: Strobe Cream
- MAC Unsung Heroes: Blot Powder/Pressed
- MAC Unsung Heroes: Subculture Lip Pencil
- MAC Unsung Heroes: Soft Brown Eyeshadow
- MAC Unsung Hero: Woodwinked Eyeshadow
- MAC Unsung Hero: Powersurge Eye Kohl
- MAC Unsung Heroes: All That Glitters Eyeshadow Is Not Just Another Gold
- MAC Unsung Heroes: The Technakohl Liners
- MAC Unsung Hero: Groundwork Paint Pot
- MAC Unsung Hero: Nymphette Lipglass
- MAC Unsung Heroes: Viva Glam V
- MAC Unsung Hero: Blacktrack Fluidline
- MAC Unsung Heroes: Lychee Luxe Lipglass
- MAC Unsung Hero: Gorgeous Gold Eyeshadow
- MAC Unsung Hero: Patina Eyeshadow
Speaking o’ bombshells
Even though I’m not usually a fan of the shoes Michael Kors comes out with, (they can seem a little too conservative to me), I can’t stop thinking about this pair of Braided Chain Platform Sandals ($123).
I like the way the tough chains contrast with the dainty braided straps. It’s sort of biker bar meets the Hamptons, LOL!
Anywho, other than my usual shoe lust and the unseasonably rainy weather we’re having here, I have nothing new to report. What’s shakin’ out yonder way?
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,