A pic popped up in my feed a few days ago of a friend wearing a classic ’90s lip with an unblended dark outer edge, a light lipstick, and lots and lots of gloss in the center.
I was moved!
I wore the heck out of this lip look when I was in college, and apparently you can trust muscle memory to kick in when you attempt to do old favorite makeup looks, because it all came back to me like *that*.
What you’ll need
To do this type of ’90s lip look, grab the following…
- A dark matte lip liner (I’m wearing two shades of brown).
- An opaque matte lipstick significantly lighter than your lip liner, because you’re going for contrast here. I chose a matte beige.
- A very shiny gloss, either clear, or in a shade that compliments your lipstick.
Step-by-step: the ’90s girl unblended lip look!
- Apply a layer or two of your lipstick first. I just did it directly from the tube.
- Line the outermost portion of your lips with the liner. Be sure to sharpen the tip beforehand for a crisp edge.
- Dot the gloss on the center of your bottom lip. I like to swipe a little first on the back of my hand, and then I dab the gloss on with a finger to avoid touching the doe-foot applicator directly to the lipstick. That way I can keep the lipstick from mixing into the gloss and changing the color.
- DO NOT rub your lips together or blend the liner with a lip brush, or do anything that will reduce the definition of the edge. This is totes key!
If you do a beige-brown lip like the one I’m wearing here, peachy golden brown colors work well on the cheeks and eyes.
Makeup worn in this look
- Lips: MAC Cork and Hover lip liners (Cork on the outermost edge with Hover on the inner portion), MAC Honey Love Lipstick, MAC C-Thru Lipglass
- Base: MAC Strobe Cream in Peachlite, MAC Next to Nothing in Medium Dark, MAC Matchmaster Concealer in 5
- Eyes: MAC Teddy liner (buffed all over lids as base and worn as liner on lash and waterlines), MAC Amber Lights eyeshadow, MAC Beaming Blush Extra Dimension Skinfinish (inner corner), MAC Give Me Sun bronzer, Laura Mercier Caviar Mascara
- Cheeks: MAC Give Me Sun bronzer, MAC Hushed Tone blush, MAC Beaming Blush Extra Dimension Skinfinish
Social media is weird, man.
Have you seen the thing going ’round social media where people post their senior high school pic to support the seniors graduating in 2020? Now, how is posting one’s own senior portrait supposed to cheer up a senior in high school who’s missing prom and graduation? I dunno. That said, I’ve been enjoying seeing everyone’s throwbacks, especially all the makeup and hair. It’s great for inspiration!
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,