The official promo pics and product list are busting down our doors, my fellow wonder women. The limited edition MAC Wonder Woman Collection is still en route (ETA February 10, 2011 in North American; internationally in March), but we just received an emergency makeup cable from the super-heroine’s invisible jet. It reads, “Start the mission without me, ladies! I’ll be there as soon as I fend off the forces of anti-fabulousness that are attacking my jet!”
Since some of the upcoming products in the collection are repromoted items (like Lipstick in Russian Red, Glitter in Reflects Pearl and Penultimate Eye Liner in Rapidblack), I thought we could take an early look at a few of them today.
MAC Wonder Woman: More Than Makeup
The 33-piece themed collection for eyes, face and nails comes with colorful limited edition comic book packaging. In addition to makeup, it contains seriously snazzy accessories like makeup bags, brush bags and even a MAC Wonder Woman T.
Now, because time (and Wonder Woman) waits for no gal, let’s get on with the show. 🙂
From the left: Penultimate Eye Liner in Rapidblack, Glitter in Reflects Pearl and Lipstick in Russian Red
When we see these in the collection, they’ll be all decked out in limited edition red, yellow and blue packaging, but I expect the colors themselves to be the same.
MAC Russian Red Lipstick
One of my favorite old schoolers, this matte bluish red has a vintage ’40s pinup feel that looks hotter than hot partnered with black cat eye liner. I’ve been more than a little obsessed with this color ever since I found out that my other favorite wonder woman, Madonna, wore it on her Blonde Ambition Tour.
I used to wear this color a LOT (I’m a big Madge fan), and have figured out a few ways to get the most out of this impressive matte.
Because matte lipsticks tend to be so thick, they can pinpoint imperfections on the lips, clinging to dry flakes and settling into cracks — it’s something my oh-so-eloquent eighth grade self would have called, “hella gross.”
That’s why I do a lot of prep work whenever I plan to wear Russian Red (or any matte lipstick). The night before, I’ll exfoliating my lips with an old toothbrush to remove any flakes. I like this homemade sugar scrub and Lush Sugar Plum Fairy ($5).
Then, right before bed, I’ll apply a thick layer of moisturizing lip balm and leave it on overnight. I really like Philosophy’s $10 Kiss Me Gloss.
The next morning, after washing my face, I’ll apply another layer of lip balm and let it soak in while I do my eye, cheek and face makeup, saving the lips for last.
Immediately before applying my lipstick, I’ll blot any excess balm away with a tissue or by kissing the back of my hand (LOL!), and then with a precise lip brush like the MAC 316 ($19.50), I’ll do the deed.
MAKEUP AND BEAUTY BLOG RATING: A+
MAC Penultimate Eye Liner in Rapidblack
I REALLY wish I could get MAC Penultimate Eye Liner in Rapidblack to work for me because it’s one of the longest wearing liners I’ve ever tried. I swear, when I apply this rich, black liquid liner early in the morning, I can sweat like a pig all day long in the summer while I rub at my eyes like a fiend, and it’s still hanging tough at dinner. Amazing.
But (there’s always a but), the stiff pen doesn’t like my butterfingers. I have a hard time scooting the firm, almost rigid tip along my lash lines and find liners with flexible felt tips, like LORAC’s Front of the Line Pro ($22), easier to control.
MAKEUP AND BEAUTY BLOG RATING: B-
MAC Glitter in Reflects Pearl
It’s only mission in life: FUN! This multipurpose white glitter contains just a bit of pearly sheen. I like it, but, truthfully, I don’t reach for it often. I think it’s a tad too disco for my old @ss. But whenever I do feel like sparkling (it happens), I’ll tap some onto the tops of my cheekbones with a MAC 224 Tapered Blending Brush ($29).
MAKEUP AND BEAUTY BLOG RATING: B
Swatches from the left with a flash: Lipstick in Russian Red, Penultimate Eye Liner in Rapid Black and Glitter in Reflects Pearl
MAC Lipstick in Russian Red
Wait — we just got a dispatch from Greenland Station. Wonder Woman just destroyed the last of the anti-fabulous fiends that were attacking her jet, so she’s back on course, HUZZAH! 🙂 Stay tuned for swatches and more coverage of the collection as we get closer to the release.
MAC Wonder Woman: The Promotional Pictures
Eye Quad in Defiance
Eye Quad in Lady Justice
Eye Quad in Valiant
From the left: Oplulash Mascaras in Army of Amazons, Black, Themyscira and Victorious; Penultimate Eye Liner in Rapidblack
Lipsticks from the left: Heroine, Marquise d’, Russian Red and Spitfire
Lipglasses from the left: Athena’s Kiss, Emancipation, Secret Identity and Athena’s Kiss
Mineralize Skinfinishes in Golden Lariat on the left and Pink Power on the right
Powder Blush Duo in Amazon Princess on the left and Mighty Aphrodite on the right
Clockwise from the upper left: Pigment in Bright Fuchsia, Pigment in Marine Ultra, Reflects Glitter in Reflects Pearl and Reflects Glitter in Reflects Bronze
Nail Lacquer in Obey Me on the left and Spirit of Truth on the right
Bulletproof Blue Makeup Bag
Red Makeup Bag
Utility Belt Set with the Face Brushes
Utility Belt Set with the Eye Brushes
MAC Wonder Woman Collection: The Full Product Listing
Unfortunately, it does look like MAC raised the prices of several items. The Wonder Woman Lipglasses, for instance, will be $19.50 ($5 more than their regular price). I guess that’s the rub for this limited edition, collectable packaging. But who knows? Maybe they’ll appreciate in value like comic books do (sadly, probably not).
Lipsticks, $15.50 each
- Marquise d’ — a sandy cream peach lustre
- Russian Red — an intense bluish-red matte
- Spitfire — a bright creamy magenta satin
- Heroine — a bronzy brown frost
Lipglasses, $19.50 each
- Emancipation — a pale neutral pink
- Wonder Woman — a bright red with soft pearl
- Athena’s Kiss — a bright bluish fuchsia
- Secret Identity — a mid-one copper with soft pearl
Opulash, $15 each
- Victorious — purple
- Army of Amazons — green
- Themyscira — blue
- Black — black
Penultimate Eye Liner, $18.50
- Rapidblack — a true black
Nail Lacquer, $14 each
- Obey Me — a true red
- Spirit of Truth — a navy blue
- 48 — a pair of false lashes
Eye Quad, $40 each
- Defiance — powder eyeshadows in Defiance (an iridescent white pink with a pearl finish), Paradise Island (a soft warm pink with satin finish), Star Studded (a mid-tone violet pink with a satin finish) and Real Drama (a dark burgundy with pink pearl and a satin finish)
- Lady Justice — powder shadows in Lady Justice (a bright silver with white pearl and a frosty finish), Insurmountable (a dirty blueish grey with a pearl finish), Bold Babe (a deep metal blue with white pearl and a frost finish) and Deep Truth (a true dark blue with a frost finish)
- Valiant — powder shadows in Valiant (a light lime with yellowish pearl and a frost finish), Spinning Transformation (a deep olive bronze with yellowish pearl), Diana Undercover (a dark forest green with a satin finish) and Manila Paper (a pale frosty white gold with a pearl finish)
Reflects Glitter, $21 each
- Reflects Pearl — a white glitter with pearl sheen
- Reflects Bronze — a sparkling rich gold
- Bright Fuchsia — a bright magenta
- Marine Ultra — a vivid marine blue
Powder Blush Duo, $24 each
- Mighty Aphrodite — a warm peachy coral with golden pearl and a satin finish on one side and a bright coral pink with golden pearl and a frosty finish on the other
- Amazon Princess — a bright yellowish pink with a satin finish and a deep bluish pink with golden pearl and a satin finish
Mineralize Skinfinish, $35 each
- Pink Power — a trio of three pressed powders in peachy rose with pink shimmer, a soft rosy bronze and a soft shell pink
- Golden Lariat — a trio of three pressed powders in a true coral with fine golden shimmer, a soft suntanned bronze and a soft gold with fin shimmer
Makeup Bags, $30 each
- Red Makeup Bag — a zipped makeup bag with a shiny red finish
- Bulletproof Blue Makeup Bag — a zipped makeup bag with a shiny blue finish
Utility Belt Sets, $49.50 each
- Eye Brush Set — a golden brush bag with the 224SE, 213 SE and the 194 SE eye brushes
- Face Brush set — a golden brush bag with the 129SE, 109SE and the 190SE face brushes
MAC Wonder Woman T, $25 each
- Small, Medium and Large
Before you jet…
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,
P.S. For more MAC Wonder Woman…
- Are You a MAC Wonder Woman?
- MAC Wonder Woman Collection Lip Combinations: Just Some Food for Thought
- More MAC Wonder Woman! Swatches on NW20 Skin
- MAC Wonder Woman: Saving the World One Lipglass at a Time
- Tabs for the MAC Wonder Woman Collection
- MAC Wonder Woman: Random Acts of iPhone Photography
- MAC Wonder Woman Highlights Video on YouTube