For me, today, this quote means that even if you’re wounded in some way (emotionally or physically), doing a few simple, mundane tasks like brushing your teeth, putting on pants, doing your hair, or putting on your makeup — and just showing up to face the world, even when you don’t think you can — all add up to a major act of bravery.
You may be grieving, off balance, confused, out of whack, but then you put on your lipstick (and hopefully also your pants), and you keep going.
Since I’ve been blogging every day for millennia (since 2007), and I would normally be blogging on a day like today, doing this post right now as if today were any old day is giving me some comfort.
Who knew that swatching lipsticks could be emotionally soothing?
More than the lipsticks, though…something tells me that it’s more about the familiar routine — talking to you, setting up the camera, checking the lights, swiping the bullet across my lips, taking the pics, glancing over at Tabs as he watches me, etc.
Because no matter how much some things change, other things, like sharing lip swatches, stay the same.
I did these swatches of the MAC Viva Glam I, II and III Lipsticks ($18.50 each) today, and I laughed a little when I remembered this…
This year marks the 25th anniversary of the debut of Viva Glam, the initiative MAC started back in 1994 to help men, women and children living with HIV/AIDS. Every dollar raised from the sale of Viva Glam celebrity-promoted products since then has gone to support the cause.
These three are just a smidgeon of the Viva Glam Lipsticks and Lipglasses that have debuted throughout the years. My favorites will always be the Viva Glam V Lipstick and Lipglass, though. I also have a soft spot for the Viva Glam VI Lipglass, too.
More Viva Glam? Yes Ma’am!
Please feel free to LOL at my hair (oh, gawd, BANGS) and eyebrows in these old MAC posts…
- MAC Viva Glam Taraji P. Henson 2 Lipstick and Lipglass
- MAC Viva Glam by the #numbers With Viva Glam Taraji P. Henson Lipstick and Lipglass
- MAC Viva Glam Ariana Grande 2
- A MAC Viva Glam Ariana Grande Lipstick Face of the Day
- MAC Viva Glam Ariana Grande
- MAC Viva Glam Miley Cyrus II and Trend Forecast Spring 2016
- The SF MAC Powell Street Store: Studio Waterweight Application Tips, Zuca Bags, Haute Dogs and a Viva Glam Miley 2 Lip Combo (Fun fact! I was three months pregnant with coywolf in the top pic)
- Metallic Mauve in the Machine! MAC Viva Glam Rihanna II Lipstick and Lipglass Through the Ocular Sensors of Robot Karen (BEEP!)
- MAC’s Viva Glam Rihanna Lipstick and Lipglass: A Red Lip Combo That’s Red-y for Anything
- MAC Welcomes the New Nicki Minaj Nicki 2 Lipstick and Lipglass to the Viva Glam Fam
- Ricky Martin and Nicki Minaj Join the MAC Viva Glam Fam
- MAC Viva Glam Gaga 2: Swatches and Pictures
- MAC Viva Glam Gaga 2 Lipstick
- MAC Viva Glam Gaga 2 Lipglass
- Viva La MAC Viva Glam! Swatches and Pics of the New Cyndi and Gaga Lipglasses
- MAC Viva Glam VI Special Edition Lipstick Makes It Official: Lavender Lipstick Reigns This Spring
- MAJOR THROWBACK —–> MAC Makeup News – Interview with MAC Viva Glam Spokesperson Dita Von Teese, Macy’s Passport American Express Gala Night 2007
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,