Because it’s raining cats and dogs out here today, I figured I’d have to make my own sunshine, so I took a stab at a tutorial on the look from yesterday’s Clinique Black Tie Violets face of the day (see some swatches here).
If you decide to give it a try, snap a couple pictures of yourself, and shoot them off to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I’d love to see your handiwork (don’t worry; I won’t share them on the blog unless you ask me to)!
What you’ll need
- A shimmery purple cream eyeshadow like Clinique Quick Eyes Cream Shadow in Rock Violet ($15)
- A shimmery violet eyeshadow like the second shade from the left in the Clinique Colour Surge Eyeshadow Quad in Black Tie Violets ($25)
- A shimmery brownish plum like the third shade from the left in the Clinique Black Tie Violets Quad
- A shimmery violet gel liner like Clinique Brush-On Cream Liner in Violet Luxe ($15)
- A shimmery blackish plum eyeshadow like the one on the far right in the Clinique Black Tie Violets Quad
- A shimmery pinkish purple shadow like the shade on the far left in the Clinique Black Tie Violets Quad
- A lengthening black mascara like Clinique Long Pretty Lashes in Black ($15)
- A shimmery plum blush like Clinique Shimmering Stripes Powder Blush in Tuxedo Plums ($30)
- A shimmery reddish blue lip liner like Clinique Defining Liner for Lips in Pomegranate ($14)
- A shimmery hot pink lipstick like Clinique High Impact Lip Colour SPF 15 in Extreme Pink ($14)
- Kick things off by patting and blending a thin layer of the shimmery purple cream eyeshadow over your entire eyelid with a finger.
- With your favorite flat eyeshadow brush (I heart the MAC 239), pack the shimmery violet eyeshadow onto your lid and into the crease.
- Swipe a fluffy crease brush like the MAC 217 across your pan of shimmery brownish plum eyeshadow; apply and blend the shade into your outer V.
- To emphasize your eyes even more, apply the shimmery violet gel liner to your upper and lower waterlines with a flat eyeliner brush (I like Laura Mercier’s).
- Switch to a short shader brush like the MAC 214, and apply the same violet gel liner to your lid.
- Pat the shimmery blackish plum eyeshadow directly on top of the gel liner with your flat eyeshadow brush; blend so it just barely creeps up into the crease.
- To lighten up those peepers, use your flat eyeshadow brush, and apply the shimmery pinkish purple eyeshadow onto the lid.
- Line your lower lash line with the violet gel liner (using your short shader brush)… This step ups the drama! 🙂
- Still using the same brush, pat the shimmery blackish plum eyeshadow on top of the outer third of your lower lash line.
- Mix the shimmery violet and pinkish purple shadows together (same brush), and apply the mixture along the entire length of your lower lash line.
- Brighten the inner corner by patting the shimmery pinkish purple near your tear duct using your flat eyeshadow brush.
How’s it coming along? Take it easy on yourself if it’s not perfect the first time around. You’ll get better each time.
Finish the eyes by curling your lashes and applying two coats of your favorite black mascara to both your upper and lower lashes.
Cheeks and lips
- Everything from this point on is easy like Sunday morning. Scout’s honor. First, add some color to your cheeks with the shimmery plum blush applied with a fan brush ala the Shu Uemura 7.5 EX.
- Line and fill in your lips with the shimmery reddish blue lip liner, and top it all off with your lipstick in a shimmery hot pink.
Don’t forget to take a picture! 🙂
Now all we need is a party to go to…
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,