Hi, ladies. Do you ever think about your first time?
Mine was 1988… It was fifth period lunch, and I was in the girls bathroom.
I’m talking about the first time I lined my waterline, of course. 🙂 It took me 15 minutes per eye because they kept watering like crazy.
I’m 100% sure it looked awful, but I remember feeling so fly! I used purple liner to go with my outfit — a purple Esprit sweater, stretch pants, slouchy socks and shoes. Yup, good times…
My stroll down waterline memory lane was triggered by this e-mail from MBB reader Stephanie:
I’m a late bloomer in the eyeliner department! I’ve just started doing waterline eyeliner, but it doesn’t work well for me. It’s like my waterlines are *too watery.* Do you have any tips because I really like the look! Thanks a mil!
What’s up, Stephanie? When it comes to drawing attention to the eyes, nothing beats those waterlines. I’m a big fan. 🙂
First things first — finding a product that’s 1) easy on the eyes and 2) stays put!
Champions of the waterline!
Cargo Plant Love Liners
Here are my current waterline favorites…
- Cargo Plant Love Liner in Black ($16): A smooth, organic, long-wear liner free of parabens, phthalates, petrochemicals, synthetic dyes and fragrances. NOTE: I just checked the Sephora website for availability, and it looks like this and most of the Cargo Plant Love makeup line are MIA online. Finding this one might take a phone call or a trip to the store.
- Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Zero ($17): This rich, dark black liner has legions of devoted followers! It’s so soft and buttery, yet lasts long and strong once it dries.
- MAC Fluidline in Blacktrack ($15): Of these three, I think Fluidline lasts the longest, but it also takes the most effort and requires a brush to apply (for me). Totally worth it in my book, though, and as a bonus it doubles as an eyeshadow base.
Other liners to consider
- MAC Liquidlast Liner ($17)
- MAC Powerpoint Eye Pencil in Engraved ($15)
- MAC Eye Kohl in Smolder ($15)
- MAC Kohl Power Eye Pencil in Feline ($15)
- Make Up For Ever Aqua Creamliner in Black ($20)
- L’Oreal Lineur Intense Brush Tip Liquid Eyeliner in Black ($9)
- Get hot! Try warming up the tip of a pencil liner. It should soften it, making it easier to apply. I’ll remove the cap and aim a hairdryer on low at the tip for about 10 seconds. If I don’t have a dryer with me, I’ll stick the capped pencil into the back pocket of my jeans and leave it there while I do the rest of my makeup and hair. After about 10 minutes it’s warm and good to go. 🙂
- Invest in a flat eyeliner brush. If you plan to try MAC Fluidline, try to budget some money for a brush to apply it with. I really like the MAC 212 Flat Definer Brush ($21).
Hope these help! As always, hit me (or any of the other gals) up in the comments.
My liner loving ladies, got any waterline secrets up your sleeves? How about your favorite liners? Which ones do you heart and why?
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,