5 Things you can do TODAY to transport yourself to the ’90s
- Listen to your favorite Salt-N-Pepa CD (or, alternately, cassette tape) on repeat, and sing/rap the lyrics to Whatta Man aloud, because you know them back and forth, and inside out, and upside down. My man is smooth like Barry, and his voice got bass! A body like Arnold and a Denzel face!
- Slip on a flannel shirt as a nod to the crispy Seattle weather (or to just stay warm in front of the refrigerator)…
- On that note, quote the movie Clueless with ABANDON.
- Dust off your little black backpack (it’s in the back of your closet next to your Doc Martens), and use it as your purse for the day.
- Wear new matte rosy brown MAC Matte Lipstick in Whirl ($16), one of 22 matte shades in the upcoming The Matte Lip collection, coming to the MAC website May 28 and MAC stores and counters June 11.
GIRL, funny story. My friend Jen’s been more or less wearing the same color of brown matte lipstick since the ’90s, and I’ve been bugging her to break out of her comfort zone for years.
Corals, pinks, reds, nudes — seriously, any shade other than that same ’90s matte brown, but now that the ’90s lip, also known as (airquotes) “the Kylie Jenner lip,” is back in style, I don’t feel like I need to bug her anymore, LOL!!
The lip Jen’s loved all these years has made a comeback, and you can bet she’s ready for it. 🙂
Me, on the other hand, to be honest, I require some handholding. Back in the day I loved wearing matte brown lips, and it was all I wore, pretty much 24/7, but I’m having a hard time now re-seeing myself in the color.
I’ve gotten attached to fun brights and nudes!
But, in the spirit of breaking out of comfort zones, I’m trying to take my own advice by giving these circa-1995 colors a whirl.
Enter MAC’s new Matte Lipstick in Whirl ($16).
If I had a dollar for every time I responded, “MAC Whirl Lip Pencil,” whenever someone asked me for a Kylie Jenner lip recommendation, I’d have enough to take a trip around the world. Twice.
Yup, Whirl Lip Pencil. It’s a matte rosy brown in the MAC permanent line, and it’s been around for ages.
Whirl Lipstick is Whirl Lip Pencil’s fellow lip-loving cousin. Both are a similar rosy brown with a flat matte finish, but the Lipstick feels thicker and isn’t as dry.
Not to say that the lipstick is moisturizing, because it isn’t. In my experience, the MAC Matte formulation is pretty drying, but that’s not unusual for matte lipstick. If you stay hydrated and befriend a moisturizing balm (particularly if you apply it regularly at night before bed), this matte rosy brown, and MAC’s other mattes, should not suck all of the moisture from your lips (at least not every ounce)…
After wearing it the past couple of days, I’m surprised by how much I like it. Because of its rosy tones, it’s not like wearing a full-on matte brown (which I’m sooo not ready for).
And, uh…this is probably going to sound weird, but it’s almost the same color as my gums! — so I guess you could call it an MGBB color. My Gums But Better. Haha!
I like it, and I’ve gotta give it and the other MAC Mattes major props for lasting as long as they do on my lips. The wear time is so boss. Whirl lasts six or seven hours, and that’s through a meal and lots of chugging water from my bkr bottle.
I think if you want to do the whole ’90s lip thing but aren’t ready to jump feet-first into brown or taupe territory, Whirl’s pinkish brown could be a lovely way to test the trendy water.
PRICE: $16 (one of 22 lipsticks in the MAC The Matte Lip collection)
AVAILABILITY: Permanent, and coming May 28 to the MAC website and June 11 to MAC counters and stores
MAKEUP AND BEAUTY BLOG RATING: A- (retro beautiful, but yes, pretty drying)
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,