Happy Caturday, my friend! I hope you have a sweet treat on your breakfast plate this morning (sprinkle cake perhaps?). I have grand designs on a slice of lemon meringue pie (sans meringue), my second one ever, because the gluten-free one I made last night did NOT turn out hella wackadoo (unlike the first one). If I may say so myself, it’s actually pretty good! 🥧
Now, this does not apply to the one I made before the one last night.
That one was downright terrible…
It was my first crack at lemon meringue, so I’m not stressing it, but it was borderline comical how bad it turned out.
The custard was runny. The meringue was overbeaten. And I somehow missed adding the half cup of butter the recipe called for (whoops!).
When Connor and I took the first bite and I said, “Oh, dear. We have to throw this out,” Connor said, “It’s OK, mama. This was just a practice pie. You just have to keep practicing so you can get better and better.”
In addition to further “practicing pie” this weekend, I intend to reunite with Tom Ford African Violet (pictured at the top), otherwise known as “my favorite fall purple.” I looked it up today to see if it was still available, and — le sigh! — it appears to have been discontinued.
If you’re looking for something similar, FYI, Essie Flowerista is a good option.
Onto today’s beauty reading!
- Dear Astronauts on the International Space Station who will be doing beauty blogger stuff with Estée Lauder products in zero gravity…do any of you need some tips from a 10+ year beauty blogging veteran? Because if you do, I’m here for you, and I can be ready to launch aboard a SpaceX Falcon Heavy faster than you can say, “skin care serum in the stars.” 👩🚀🚀
- RIP Lillian Brown. She was the makeup artist who covered the dark circles, matted down the shiny spots and concealed blemishes on nine US presidents. She also painted the faces of many first ladies as well.
- Speaking of beauty and politics colliding…
- Meet Pakistani American Kirin Bhatty, a Hollywood makeup artist who’s worked with a diverse lineup of on-screen talent, including Awkwafina in Crazy Rich Asians and The Farewell, and Frieda Pinto on Slumdog Millionaire.
- How to avoid common mistakes when doing your makeup if you have dark skin, according to makeup artist Scott Osbourne.
- Stuff on sale up to 50% off at Ulta…
- A full makeup breakdown of J. Lo’s latest look via Mary Philips.
- I am low-key obsessed with Frédéric Malle.
- Is high-tech skin care worth the price?
- For your fun fact file: the Air Force is allowing servicemen to grow out their hair a little bit more.
Vibing with this today.
This is my favorite Kate Bush song.
What the heck is going on here?
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,