An almost empty Urban Decay Build Your Own Eyeshadow Palette
One of the first gigs I got after college was working in the filing room at a law firm, where I spent hours and hours alphabetizing case files.
Two years of that left me 1) bored out of my gourd and 2) with a chronic compulsion to put things in alphabetical order.
The condition even manifested itself earlier today, as I started sifting through Urban Decay’s newly revamped $18 Eyeshadow Singles (available in a whopping 68 shades).
Naturally, it just made perfect sense to me to place them in alphabetical order — ABC Gum with Asphyxia, Baked and Bender, and so on like that. And then I thought, what if I put them in alphabetical sets using the Urban Decay Build Your Own Palette ($18; includes a six-pan palette, the exclusive shade Walk of Shame and a shadow brush)?
Wouldn’t ya know it? Organized alphabetically like this, I think some of these palettes actually turned out pretty darn cool! Another win for the alphabet.
Before we dive in, here’s some background on the shadows:
- They represent the next generation in Urban Decay Eyeshadows, replacing the old shadows with a new formula and packaging
- Among the 68 shades (there are 64 in the pics below), there are some totally new colors, some former bestsellers, and some fan faves previously only available in UD palettes
- The shades are spread out among five different finishes in satin, shimmer, sparkle, duochrome and matte
- Urban Decay says the new shadows are softer than the generation they replace, with richer pigments, a longer wear time and colors that distribute more evenly
- Each of the shadows pops out of its packaging and can be placed into Urban Decay’s Build Your Own Palette ($18; includes a six-pan palette, a pan of Walk of Shame and a brush)
- I felt that UD’s original eyeshadows were pretty soft and pigmented, but these new versions seem even more pigmented and buttery than before, yum!
- If you don’t feel like building your own palette, right now on urbandecay.com, you can also find five palettes pre-filled with colors selected by bloggers and v-loggers
ABC Gum, Asphyxia, Baked, Bender, Blackout, and Blunt
From the left, top row: Baked, Asphyxia and ABC Gum; Bottom row: Bender, Blackout and Blunt
From the left: ABC Gum, Asphyxia, Baked, Bender, Blackout and Blunt