What struck me first was the packaging. The black against the gold. It pulled me in like a tractor beam. Classic and edgy at the same time, a la Blade Runner, which is a style I aspire to achieve, on occasion.
The black cases are different than usual for MAC and have this rubbery texture, so they’re kind of NARS-y, and that coupled with the makeup — the nude eyes, cheeks and bright red lips — add up to a recipe for instant makeup lust.
There are definitely things here I’ll wear, and actually, a lot of them are pieces I already wear. The new quad has two of my long-time favorite MAC eyeshadows, Sable and All That Glitters, and the Cream Colour Base is a re-promoted shade called Hush, which I absolutely love.
A couple of the lipsticks also look like classic MAC shades I wear all the time, like True Red, which looks a little like Lady Danger but has an Amplified finish instead of a Matte, so it has that shine. And Ruby is kind of like Russian Red, but with the Amplified finish instead of the Matte.
So, I don’t really think the release shatters new ground. The edgiest pieces here are probably the Lipglasses, which are these sort of weird metallic colors like Gold Mirror, a neutral gold, and Mirror, a neutral silver, both of which, I think, seem very indicative of Pedro’s sometimes sci-fi style, from what I’ve seen of his work.
I tell you what, though — if I were a robot, I’d be all over those Lipglasses in two ticks of an animatronic heartbeat, beep-beep!
I was so stoked about the Corol Blush Duo before seeing it in person. It’s the big compact with the black matte packaging and Pedro’s name across the front. But then I tried it on, and it really wasn’t working for me. The powder’s extremely hard and difficult to pick up with a brush or finger. When I did these swatches, I actually had to chip away at the powder with a fingernail to free up some product.
But other than the Duo, I like the collection. I think there’s something cooly futuristic and classic about it at the same time, like something you’d see in a sci-fi movie starring Milla Jovovich as the main character, and her eyes would be shining with the sparkling nude and bronze and rosy tones.
I can see it now… She’s walking down a dusty, decaying urban alley between tall, grimy buildings holding an oversized plasma gun. Her cheeks are highlighted and glowing, and her lips are bright red. 🙂
Beautiful and accessible, with an edge — that’s how I see this collection. If you have a friend you’ve wanted to convert into a MAC fan, this is the collection where you hold her hand and guide her into the light.
Let me know what you think.
Available online May 29 at maccosmetics.com, at select North American MAC locations June 5, 2014 through July 3, 2014, and internationally at select MAC locations in June.
The MAC Pedro Lourenco collection includes….
- Nude Quad, which includes Pink Sands (a matte light fleshy peach), All That Glitters (a veluxe pearl frosty champagne with golden pearl), Sable (a frosty cool bronze) and Rose Cloud (a matte soft golden beige), $44
- Amplified Lipstick in Peach Beige, a light pinkish nude, $17.50
- Amplified Lipstick in Ruby, a mid-tone blueish red, $17.50
- Amplified Lipstick in Roxo, a deep red, $17.50
- Amplified Lipstick in True Red, a vivid bright coral, $17.50
- Lipglass in Gold Mirror, a neutral gold, $16.50
- Lipglass in Mirror, a neutral silver, $16.50
- Cream Colour Base in Hush, a frosty soft peach with icy shimmer, $22
- Powder Blush Duo in Corol, a light coral pink and a mid-tone neutral plum, $26
- Nail Lacquer in Skin, a creamy light peach beige, $17.50
- Nail Lacquer in Flaming Rose, a creamy true red, $17.50
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,