Valentine’s Day approaches, a day both loved and dreaded by millions. This February 14th, you could be…
1. sniffing the roses on your desk and chomping on candy hearts and chocolates while daydreaming about your faboo significant other (isn’t s/he the BEST?).
2. alone in your living room, dressed in your rattiest plaid pajamas and drinking a bottle of Two Buck Chuck on the couch while lip syncing Celine Dion’s All By Myself.
Girl, I know how it is because I’ve played both roles before. Sometimes on the Big V you’re in lurve (how precious), but sometimes you’re not; sometimes you’re just plain bitter (it happens to the best of us).
So, to celebrate the love and the pain of Valentine’s Day, this post kicks off Paint it Pink, Paint it Black, a series featuring pink and black themed makeup and beauty products to help you make the most of this Valentine’s Day — no matter what. If you’re ready to shout your love from the rooftops, then you may opt to paint it pink! But, if you’re ready to tell your loser ex how you never needed his/her sorry ass anyway, then paint it black, sister!
Paint it pink, Vol. 1
These hot pink beauties make me feel the love…
- Lancome Color Fever Photonic Gloss in Seashell ($23). This lovely fuschia gloss applies sheer, is never sticky, and makes my lips look like they just powered through a heavy-duty hour-long makeout session. HOT!
- Smashbox Lip Enhancing Gloss in Glare. A sheer, sparkly pink gloss with lots of glitter, this lipgloss is part of the awesome Light Speed Lip Gloss Set ($29). Glare is my favorite of the six glosses in the set because the glitter hits just the right sparkle without going over the top. It’s a great first date night gloss if you want your lips looking super kissable.
- Pattern Black Pepper Body Wash ($20). Technically, I should probably list this body wash in the “Paint it Black” section because of its black pepper scent, but the cute hot pink bubble pattern on the bottle prevails. With its fresh, unisex herbal scent — a mix of black pepper, ylang-ylang and vetiver — it’s perfect for shower dates (*ahem*) with your significant other. The ingredients are all natural, and no animals were harmed in its testing, hooray!
- Philosophy Raspberry Sorbet 3-in-1 Shampoo, Shower Gel and Bubble Bath ($16). This multi-tasking gel smells exactly like a fresh scoop of raspberry sorbet. A dollop fills the bath with bubbles and leaves my skin feeling soft and smooth and ready for date night.
- Lierac Hydra-Chrono Anti-aging Balm ($45). This thick, rich balm smells like fresh picked cherries, yum! When I slather just a little of this on my hands at night, I wake up the following morning with seriously silky paws.
Whether you spend this particular Valentine’s Day in agony or ecstasy, just remember that you’re not alone, girl. Good or bad, we’ve all been there before.
Check back for more “Paint it Pink, Paint it Black.” I’ll be doing a new one every few days until the Big V drops next month. Now, hand me that heart-shaped box of truffles, homie!
More Paint it Pink, Paint it Black…
Paint it Black, Vol. 1: Going Black to the Gym
Paint it Pink, Vol. 2: Prepping for Date Night
Paint it Pink and Black, Vol. 3: When Love Leaves You Twisted
One more thing…
The poem below is my favorite love poem of ALL FRICKIN’ TIME! What’s yours?
When You are Old
by William Butler Yeats
When you are old and grey and full of sleep,
And nodding by the fire, take down this book,
And slowly read, and dream of the soft look
Your eyes had once, and of their shadows deep;
How many loved your moments of glad grace,
And loved your beauty with love false or true,
But one man loved the pilgrim Soul in you,
And loved the sorrows of your changing face;
And bending down beside the glowing bars,
Murmur, a little sadly, how Love fled
And paced upon the mountains overhead
And hid his face amid a crowd of stars.
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,