I’ve had painting on the brain lately for two reasons — one, because I’ve been spending practically every free moment at Home Depot because we’re planning some much-needed repairs and updates to the house this summer, including painting the place from top to bottom, because when El Hub and I purchased our place and moved in about a decade ago, we had no idea what we were doing. We were first-time homeowners, and the whole process was (and still is kinda) a mystery. We painted the interior with a flat finish, but flat finish is not your friend when you live with a toddler and/or a perpetually ravenous tabby who eats with reckless abandon and gets gravy splashes on the walls. Go with eggshell, homie. Eggshell is the way! It’s so much easier to clean.
The second reason I’ve had painting on the brain lately is because of the new MAC eL Seed collection, which is coming out in a few days. It’s one of those LE releases that just feels so artsy to me, which I guess makes sense since it’s a collaboration with an artist. eL Seed is a Tunisian graffiti artist who was raised in Paris, and he’s famous for combining Arabic script with graffiti.
It gave me the urge to paint! — and not just because of the gorgeous eye and face palette…
It’s the brushes.
Ooh, the brushes… They’re unusually long for makeup brushes.
They look like legit painter’s brushes to me.
I was doing makeup with them the other day and got to thinking about how I forget all the time that makeup really *is* painting. When you think about it, it’s so much like what painters do when they put brush to canvas. You’ve got your pigments and paint, and when you sit down to buff and blend everything on the blank canvas that is your face, you paint a temporary work of art. It’s so cool!
Funny thing is, I never really thought of myself as an “art person.” When I was in high school, I was in band and played every instrument under the sun, so I was a total music nerd, and I was also on the newspaper, but the last true art class I took was in eighth grade (which I got a B+ in, by the way!). That’s the extend of my art training.
So I don’t think of myself as an artist, but makeup is art! For a few minutes (almost) every day, as I’m painting my lids and my lips and everything else, I get to be in touch with my inner eighth-grade artist, or rather, ahr-teest.
And you know what else is super cool? There’s so much freedom in makeup as art. We can use as much color or as little as we want, depending on how we feel that day. We can go subtle, or we can go bold, and the next morning, the canvas is blank again and ready to go for another piece of everyday art that we get to share with the world.
To think, we have that much freedom to express ourselves, and the possibilities are endless!
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,
The MAC eL Seed collection, available on the MAC website in North America April 8th and April 11th at select MAC locations
- Declaring Love — bright cool pink (matte)
- Maya La Belle — bright orange red (matte)
- Un Baiser — pinky nude (matte)
- Une Caresse — cool dirty brown/plum (matte)
- Suggested Retail Price: $19.50 US
FULL FACE KIT: CICERO
- Shroom Eye Shadow — soft beige with shimmer (satin)
- Petit Lion Eye Shadow — peachy beige (matte)
- Honey Lust Eye Shadow — bronze-dipped peach (lustre)
- Ksar Eye Shadow — peach beige with pink sparkles (lustre)
- Chott Eye Shadow — platinum metal (VLXP)
- Finjan Eye Shadow — intense warm rosy brown (matte)
- Teboulbou Eye Shadow — pink/brown plum (VLXP)
- Texture Eye Shadow — peachy-brown with shimmer (velvet)
- Gabrielle Powder Blush — intense bright cool pink (matte)
- Les Portes Bleus Eye Shadow — bright vivid blue (matte)
- Carbon Eye Shadow — black (matte)
- Handwritten — dirty warm brown (matte)
- Carnal Charm — intense orange coral (matte)
- Vidigal Powder Blush — cool intense pink (matte)
- Matmata — indigo blue (matte)
- Suggested Retail Price: $66.00 US
EXTRA DIMENSION SKINFINISH
- Dima’s Glow — warm golden shimmer
- Suggested Retail Price: $36.00 US
BRUSH BAG KIT
- 600SES — Slanted LipBrush
- 577SES — Eye Blending Brush
- 578SES — Shader Brush
- 466SES Angled Cheek Brush
- Suggested Retail Price: $49.50 US