Here’s a breakdown of the above look…
On my eyes I’m wearing the MAC Pressed Pigments in Victorian Plum (lower crease, inner lid, outer V and lower lash lines), Nostalgic (center of the lid), Nobel Descent (upper crease) and Regal Affair (inner corner); MAC Kohl Power Eye Pencil in Feline on my water lines, and upper and lower lash lines; MAC Fluidline in Dark Majesty on my upper lash lines; Eylure No 080 False lashes and the Tom Ford Brow Sculptor in Espresso.
In my brows, that’s Anastasia Clear Brow Gel.
On my cheeks, I’m wearing MAC Mineralize Blush in Modest Blush on the apples, MAC Sheer Mystery Powder in Deep Dark just beneath the apples to contour, and the Hourglass Ambient Powders in Radiant Light and Incandescent Light (from the Ambient Lighting Palette) mixed together to highlight my upper cheekbones.
Lips are MAC Matte Lipstick in Salon Rouge.
And on my face, I’m wearing Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Pore Minimizing Foundation Primer, Laura Mercier Smooth Finish Flawless Fluid in Chai, Dior Diorskin Nude Concealer in 003 Sable/Sand and YSL Touche Eclat in 4.5.
Necklace is by H&M, and the earrings are the Climbing Vines Earrings by Kristin Perry.
Last weekend my brother came to visit and stayed the night, and, of course, as usual, I was the couch commando (also known as remote hog). I was flipping through Netflix with the remote in my hand when I asked, “Who wants to watch The Duchess?”
None of the boys — El Hub, my bro or Tabs — were into watching Keira Knightley, who plays the Duchess of Devonshire, parade around in a huge wig. Big shock.
I actually really dig regal movies. Anything with royal intrigue and stylish ladies of the court — the kind who wear wigs so tall that they touch the candles in the chandeliers and catch fire (’cause you know I’m all about the big hair! And flames!), and the painted moles, and the big dresses. 🙂
If I were a royal, you better believe I’d be the gal with the tallest, biggest, most flaming wig (assuming someone quickly put it out), because then my hair would sparkle like the MAC Heirloom Mix collection.
If you’ve been following MAC for a while, you probably know how much they like to go big when it comes to flashy finishes in holiday collections, and true to form, there’s a lot of sparkle and frost in Heirloom Mix. Glitter is practically everywhere in the 30-piece limited edition collection.
MAC Heirloom Mix: My 2-minute overview
- Cool-toned colors — Color temp-wise, this collection leans cool, and it’s heavy on cool-toned grays, blues and violets.
- Glitter and frost — SO MUCH OF THIS. It comes through strong in the Pressed Pigments (ooh gurl…we got drama!!), the Loose Glitters, Cremesheeen Glasses and one of the Nail Lacquers. When I was doing the look for the top pic, I felt like I had more glitter on my face than a Johnny Weir ice skating costume (remember his holiday collection with MAC? Good times!). For serious, while I love glitter, I’m a little cranky about the Pressed Pigments, but I’ll get to that in a minute…
- Lipstick love — If you’re only planning to take one thing home form the collection, let it be one of the bright, bold lipsticks in red, berry, plum or pink (the vibe I’m getting: MAC Rocky Horror Picture Show, Part II). They’re my favorite part of the collection.
OK, so, the Pressed Pigment drama…
For the pics in this post I’m wearing a few of the eight Pressed Pigments from the collection. They were the first pieces in the release that caught my eye.
Now, I’ve used Pressed Pigments before, and I’ve liked them. The others I used were glittery and fun and a pretty good deal, too. You got a big 0.1-oz. pan for $21 — double the size of a regular MAC Eye Shadow.
But the Pressed Pigments in Heirloom Mix are teeny, tiny. They cost $19.50 each for 0.04 ounces, which is about 20 percent smaller than a regular MAC Eye Shadow and less than half the size of the other Pressed Pigments I’ve used, which hold 0.1 ounces of Pressed goodness each.
Can’t say I’m a fan of brands charging the same price or more for less product, but I’ve been seeing a lot of that lately. *grinds teeth*
As for the lipsticks, I like. 🙂 Whether you have cool- or warm-toned skin, these should do ya. No sparkle here. Just rich, intense shades of berry, pink, red and plum. Your classic holiday colors.
I really dig No Faux Pas, the hot pink (big surprise). It’s a refreshing pop of color among the darker reds and berries we see a lot in holiday collections.
And then there’s Sparks of Romance, the red Matte. It’s a vintage, classic red that neither leans blue nor yellow. This one, I think, will look great on just about everyone.
The overall collection: is it fit for a royal?
Well, sure, for a lady of the court who wears cool tones well. I think there are some lovely lipsticks here, but, truth be told, about the entire collection, my warm-toned heart isn’t fluttering.
The MAC Heirloom Mix collection includes…
LIPSTICKS, $17.50 US/$21 CAD each
- Tribalist, a deep purple berry with an Amplified finish
- No Faux Pas, a matte hot pink with a Matte finish
- Sparks of Romance, a true red with a Matte finish
- Lipstick in Rebel, a pinkish plum with a Satin finish
- Salon Rouge, a clean berry red with a Matte finish
CREMESHEEN GLASSES, $22 US/$25 CAD each
- Ceremonial, a hot pink with sparkles
- Seeking Adoration, a plummy pink
- Social Season, a violet with blue sparkles
- Romantic Overture, a clear base with sparkles
- Courting Chic, a deep berry red with golden sparkles
PRESSED PIGMENTS, $19.50 US/$22.CAD each
- Regal Affair, a white base with fine opal pearl
- Nostalgic,a soft light salmon beige
- Noble Descent, a pearly smoky mauve
- Victorian Plum, a plum with violet pearl
- Enchantment, a violet with bluish violet sparkles
- Modern Majesty, a dark brown base with green pearl
- Noblesse Oblige, a frosty wood
- Prim and Proper, a blackish gray with silver sparkles
FLUIDLINES, $17.50 US/$21 CAD each
- Dark Majesty, a black with black pearl
- Gentrified, a brown with bronzy pearl
GLITTERS, $21 US/$25 CAD each
- Reflects Antique Gold, a sparkling goldish khaki
- Amethyst, a bright clean purple
KOHL POWER EYE PENCIL, $17.50 US/$21 CAD
- Feline, a black
EYE KOHL, $17.50 US/$21 CAD each
- Tarnish, a dark green
- Prunella, a dark prune
MINERALIZE BLUSHES, $30 US/$35 CAD each
- Modest Blush, a light baby salmon pink
- Sweet Sentiment, a rosy pink
NAIL LACQUERS, $13.50 US/$16 CAD each
- Just Jewels, a light pink with silvery rainbow pearls with a Glitter finish
- Richly Endowed, a clean berry red with a Cream finish
- Queen’s Honor, a bright red with a cream finish
MAC Heirloom Mix arrives online October 19, and at MAC stores and counters October 23 (internationally November 6).
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,