Good morning and Happy Halloween from this panda.
(Yes, my affinity for smokey eyes was the driving factor for this costume.)
We’re just about to head to the pumpkin patch I mentioned up in Petaluma, but before we go, I have to tell you about a great show I stumbled on this week called Women of Impact. You gotta watch this episode with Evy Poumpouras. She’s an author and former Secret Service Agent (she’s protected three presidents!), and she received the U.S. Secret Service Valor Award for her heroism on 9/11.
IT’S SO GOOD!
One of the things Evy talks about in the episode is the communication skills she used on the job and how to develop them in practical ways for everyday life.
I’ve been thinking a lot about the techniques in the video… I’ve tried them in a few of my interactions with people this week, and by gosh! — it definitely got me thinking about the different ways we connect with people.
Last night I used a few of the tips Evy mentions while I was getting Connor ready for bed. Instead of rushing and going through the motions, I was conscious of the tone of my voice (I softened it to make it more suitable for my “audience”) and my goal for our interaction (to have Connor feel safe and loved and free to talk to me about anything). I really think it made such a difference in the way we connected.
Big thumbs up for this video. I hope you watch it!
I just ordered Evy’s book, by the way. Will let ya know what I think about it.
Speaking of reading…here’s your list of stories for the week.
- Bobbi Brown has a new makeup line called Jones Road.
- In case you were looking for last-minute Halloween makeup to freak out your friends or your kids…
- Space X compared their latest launch delay to nail polish. 🚀
- While we’re on the subject o’ science, two women have been awarded a Nobel Prize for science for their work on identifying and developing a revolutionary method of genome editing known as CRISPR.
- If your hair is unruly and you love gadgets, you’ll probably want everything on this list (I know I do).
- What hair density is and why it matters
Late ’90s makeup vibes
Lifted eyes? Yes, please.
I’m sure this will come in handy someday.
There’s a chill in the air…
We’re off to the pumpkin patch! See ya soon. 🎃
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,