G’mornin’ and happy ? Caturday, chica! Did you happen to catch the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show makeup Charlotte Tilbury did?? SO GOOD, BABE. Her PR peeps sent some pics that were taken backstage, and I want this look on my face like meow.
This is one of my favorite makeup looks for so many reasons; I don’t even know where to start because there’s so much good stuff going on. It’s classically timeless. If I had seen this exact same look in a magazine in 2008 or 1999, it would have totally fit in, and it’s just as relevant and wearable today. And I bet it’ll still look good 20 years from now.
First of all, how Charlotte structures the faces? There aren’t any un-blended lines on the lower cheekbones or down the bridge of the nose, contrary to the huge trend on social media. There isn’t any obvious chiseling or sculpting, and hmm… How do I put this? Everyone’s lush, cherubic cheeks look like ripe, round peaches!
And those eyes! I like how the crease and outer third are softly defined, but you can still see the gradients and transitions. Srsly, how exactly does Charlotte do that?? My big struggle when I try to do kind of placement (crease and outer third) is that I don’t know when to stop blending. I’ll get what I think is a good amount of color on my lids, and then I’ll start blending…and keep blending…and blending…and blending…and blending. LOL. Eventually, everything muddles together, and I totally lose the shape (side note: Now you know why I always end up doing smoky eyes, HA HA HA!).
What I’m trying to say is that the subtlety of the blending and crease work in this look is KILLER, but it’s so much harder than it looks!
Also, can we talk about the eyeliner? Again, lots of soft blurring and no harsh edges. I love that you can see it, but it isn’t “in your face” because they’re using something less stark than black.
Charlotte recently posted a tutorial of the makeup she did for the show if you want to try it for yourself.
Kudos to them for not blurring the crap out of the model’s skin in this video, too. It’s so refreshing to see someone with acne on a big beauty brand’s channel. Plus, I like that you really get a sense of what the makeup can do for a real person’s skin.
I have the list of everything Charlotte used, but it’s pretty long. If you want to see it, though, lemme know. I can add it to this post or the comments.
Oh, and Ms. Charlotte, if you ever read this and have a place for a petite 40-something lady with a C-section scar and robust mommy tum, I’m available! 🙂 Get me a push-up bra and a set of wings ASAP. Work your magic on me.
Now for this week’s reading!
- What to do when your cat starts gnawing your stretchy black leggings.
Unsurprisingly, one of the ways you can foster friendship and reduce conflict between your cat and dog furbabies involves treats.
Lots and LOTS of treats.
Totally didn’t know this was a thing: Some people who do the keto diet experience bad breath that smells like (wait for it) nail polish remover.
- Here are Oprah’s favorite beauty things for 2018, because in an alternate universe (and maybe even in this one), Oprah is a minor deity.
- Do you love coffee? Do you also love shoes? If so, Say hello to your new favorite pair of kicks.
- Kodo Nishimura, a Japanese makeup artist, Buddhist monk and LGBTQ activist, believes that loving beauty, and being devoted to Buddhism, are not mutually exclusive.
- Fave read of the week: this thought-provoking piece on beauty standards and the time it takes to appear “naturally beautiful.”
- Skynet is coming! In the near future we’re all going to have personal robots to apply our makeup for us.
- Ugh… I’m deeply disappointed that there’s even a market for this, but someone is developing beauty products that are supposed to protect faces against acid attacks.
- Shout-out to Sunnies Face, a Filipino Beauty brand that makes one product which keeps selling out.
- PROVEN, a new skin care line, uses artificial intelligence to customize skin care for individuals.
- Why do (most) cats hate water?
Gonna try this all matte look ASAP!
Hopefully you’re a little more excited to put on some war paint now. ? I’m gonna, even though I’m just going to putter around the house today.
Have a great rest of your weekend!
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,