I woke up this morning and saw a rainbow…of resistance bands! Got these for my birthday. Now sweatin’ like a mofo.
Here’s the workout I’m doing:
Feel that booty 🔥 burn
Have you ever used resistance bands before? OH EM GEE. Dude, they don’t look like much, but they are no joke. They’re an ultra-portable, affordable way to up your workout game.
Think heavy-duty rubber bands. You wrap them around different parts of your body during specific exercises where your muscles work against the resistance of the bands, and the different colors and sizes of the bands correspond to different levels of tension. Some are equal to a 10-pound dumbbell; some are quite a bit more or less.
Slip one around your knees or ankles, and suddenly your squats and side lunges are next level. I’m talking serious burn 🔥 (in a good way)! You can also use them for upper body (like for assisted pull-ups) and core work.
One can only endure so many burpees because they are truly the devil’s work, and when I want to exercise but can’t bear the thought of going to an HIIT class or struggling through a run, a resistance band workout is almost fun.
Or, at least, different. They’re an easy, low-impact way to mix things up.
Now, I’m gonna go jump in the shower and de-funk myself, although I don’t know why I bother, because it’s supposed to be 90-something today, so I’m just gonna end up all sweaty again anyway. While I embark upon said useless endeavor, here are some stories that caught my eye this week:
- If you’re a woman of color, here’s a guide to finding a nude lippie for darker skin tones.
- New brand to watch out for at Sephora: 7 Virtues. To support local residents and families in war-torn areas, the brand sources raw ingredients from places caught in conflict and actually overpays to help farmers provide more for their families.
- Soon, fans of “the ‘gram” will be able to watch hour-long videos through something called IGTV. Side note: would anyone be interested in watching me ramble for an hour on Instagram about cats? INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW.
- I’m a big fan of unisex scents (see: Clean Reserve Sel Santal), so I can’t wait to sniff these three new fragrances Chanel is launching for girls AND guys.
- What’s in a name? Former Allure Editor Linda Wells is launching a new makeup line called Flesh. Here she talks about the semi-scandalous name and their products (she was going for controversy). The article is also filled with fun facts (which you know I loooove), like how the Peach Crayola crayon color used to be called Flesh, but it was rebranded during the start of the civil rights movement.
Well, I just found what I’ve been missing all my life: CHOCOFLAN!!!
I definitely did not look like this when I danced to Push It at the eighth-grade dance…
Current summer soundtrack
What are you up to this weekend? Is it hella hot there too?
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,