Good morning, guys. Before we get to Saturday Surfing, I just wanted to say that if you or anyone you know is affected by the Carr Fire in Shasta County, we’re thinking of you here at Casa MBB. As you know, my in-laws lived in Redding for years (they moved back to Hawaii two months ago), and we still have family there. Stay safe.
Right now I have ramen noodles instead of arms.
Please note that this ? (in the pic at the top) is the lamest raising of roofs ever, but this is how far up my arms go now because my upper body is toast. In HIIT class the other night, I tried — tried being the key word here — doing some pull-ups, and now I’m so sore that in order to dress myself this morning, I had to bend over and do a weird shimmy-dive into my shirt because I literally cannot raise my arms.
So, if you were hoping to have someone join you today in throwing your hands up in the air and waving them ’round like you just don’t care, because, ya know, SATURDAY! — normally I’d be totally down, but I’m going to leave you in the lurch for now. Sorry, homie.
- I love that so many straight men, like writer Ben Yu, are embracing makeup. I applaud his systematic process to using bathroom selfies to figure out what products work best for him (um…GENIUS), and how he says that makeup isn’t for anyone else but himself (“I’m wearing it for me”). YOU GO, BOY.
- How breaking up with a boyfriend finally set one woman free to try the makeup looks she really wanted to wear: “He insisted I only wear natural makeup, lipstick was out of the question, and probably the most bizarre rule was I could wear no red nail polish. Looking back, I should have seen this as a red flag, literally, but I was in denial and inexperienced and spent three years of my life only painting my nails ballet slipper pink.”
- Please note: If skinny ’90s-style brows truly are back in style again, I will be hiding in a remote cave in a secret location and will remain there until Liam Neeson’s character in Taken finds me, OR, big bushy brows come back.
I watched this wacky but deliciously provocative movie last month called Sorry to Bother You, and while I’m not even gonna get into the plot because it’s full-on crazy (so many layers!), one of the best things about the movie is one of the character’s makeup (Detroit, played by actress Tessa Thompson). Her looks are really super cool and totally doable if you’re feeling feisty and creative. They were done by lead makeup artist Kirsten Coleman, who after reading the script said, “…it became clear to me that Detroit was an artist and was passionate about being the opposite of standard or what is expected.” Kirsten said that they chose Afropunk influences inspired by the creative community of people who use “…their bodies as canvases to express themselves through fashion and makeup.”
- Well color me intrigued! Gucci Westman (makeup artist to the stars and all-around fashion darling known for impeccable taste) has a new makeup line coming out, and everything in it (except for the bronzer) can be applied with your fingers.
- From my favorite read of the week: “For me, the problem was that I started believing the only time I look beautiful is when I have a full face of make up on. That is the inner struggle I have had to come to terms with this past year. Changing my own way of thinking about makeup has helped me embrace the fact that my natural skin, age spots and all, is just as beautiful. I want to teach my daughter that women don’t have to change their appearance, or hide their imperfections, in order to be presentable to the world. It is a subtle change I am making in order to re-write the intentions of how makeup is used in my household.”
- Facial Popsicles are a thing, and no, you don’t eat them. But yes, you can make them at home.
- J.Lo, my eternal business (remember when she was just a backup dancer on In Living Color?) and booty inspiration, just turned 49, and despite her accomplishments over the last year — a new movie coming out this fall, a Las Vegas residency, a new makeup collection — many of the articles mentioning her birthday chose to focus instead on how she looks…for her age. GRRR!
- —-> This story on the evolution of Armenia’s beauty industry, as told by women who witnessed it.
One of the many looks from @sorry2botheryou on the ever bold @tessamaethompson. This was a simple but fun look: @makeupforeverofficial Ultra HD Foundation, @tomford Exclusive Lash & Brow Tint in Blue on brows and lashes, @glossier Generation G Lipstick in Leo, @urbandecaycosmetics Naked Blush Palette in Strip, & @kevynaucoin The Sensual Skin Enhancer as a concealer. Earrings and outfit by @thereeldesign! #sorry2botheryou #sorrytobotheryou #sorrytobotheryoumovie #tessathompson #detroit #makeupartist #mua #brows #film #indie
Made this for dinner last Wednesday, and it was delicious AND easy.
I’ve recently realized that I’d rather do strength training than cardio any day of the week.
A beautiful remake of one of my favorite songs
Nobody messes with Saint Stevie!
Of course now I’ve been binge-watching pull-up videos.
Lots of helpful info, but what’s with all the booty slapping? It’s kinda weird, right?
Technically chin-ups, but you know how I feel about Sarah Connor. THOSE ARMS, DAYUM! ❤️
Can you do a pull-up? If you can, you’re super bad-@ss.
On that note, I’m off to go stretch for 10 years.
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,