How do you feel about blue mascara and lashes? That’s a tricky one, isn’t it? For years I wasn’t sure where I stood on the subject. They’re almost like the Zac Efrons of the makeup world — people find them either terribly exciting, or not exciting at all.
There was a time I’d spot someone wearing blue lashes and think, “Sooo ’80s,” but now I’m seeing blue in a whole new light…
What can blue do for you?
Well, if you have brown eyes, A LOT! It’s hard to ignore a fringe of blue lashes batting above a pair of big brown eyes.
Swatch of YSL Blue Lagoon Mascara Aquaresistant
But if you have eyes of a different color, one or two coats of a shimmery neutral gold, beige or brown on your lids equals an easy and eye-catching, yet highly wearable summertime look.
YSL Mascara Aquaresistant in Blue Lagoon
Before you plunk down your money for a new (or your first) blue mascara, take a quick look at YSL’s electric blue Mascara Aquaresistant in Blue Lagoon ($30) from the company’s summer makeup collection. It’s a new waterproof addition to YSL’s permanent collection, and I wore it a lot last weekend because it does something on my lashes that most blue mascaras don’t — it actually works!
With one layer of Blue Lagoon
Some tinted mascaras just don’t show up on my dark black lashes at all. Maybe they aren’t thick enough or don’t catch the light effectively, I don’t know, but Blue Lagoon practically SHOUTS!
And then there’s the curl hold — Off. The. Hook. One coat tightly locks in the curl from my Shu Uemura Lash Curler. NOTE: I’m still not sleeping very well, and Blue Lagoon’s fantastic curl hold has been coming in handy lately. Curled lashes help me almost look like I’m wide awake, ha!
Since YSL made Blue Lagoon waterproof, it held up well during yesterday’s freak rain storm in the East Bay, not running or streaking after a sprint from the restaurant to where we parked the car, and I didn’t even have an umbrella.
More pros and cons
But Blue Lagoon isn’t a total party…
- It starts to smudge a little along the outer corners (on the upside, at least it doesn’t flake) within about an hour
- It’s not what I’d call a volume-boosting, uber-lengthening superstar. I can see a difference from it in both areas, but the difference is not as dramatic as I’d like (NOTE: Of course, starting with a layer of black mascara underneath it helps)
- It gets sticky if I use more than one coat, but the formula stays wet long enough to separate with a lash comb
Blue Lagoon is a high end (read: expensive) tinted mascara with exceptional color and curl hold, and if you’re looking for a one-stop dramatic eye makeup look, it might be worth a splurge. Makeup and Beauty Blog Rating: B
You might like YSL Blue Lagoon mascara if…
- You want a tinted mascara to actually tint your lashes
- You’re happy with just a little extra volume and length
- You have brown eyes (I think it really makes ‘em POP!)
Rainy days and Mondays
Isn’t that the title of a song? If it isn’t it should be, LOL! What’s the weather like out your way? It’s cold and rainy here… Where’d you go, Mr. Sun?
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,