Doop-da-doo, there I was, happily skippin’ down the street, Tabs’ leash in one hand, ice cream truck money in the other (one Drumstick please…actually two, ’cause I’m PMS-ing!), when I stumbled upon a tree bearing the most unusual fruit.
The branches hung low, weighed down not with plump, juicy apples or ripe peaches, but with bushels of new LORAC Pro Palettes.
I stood there with my mouth agape, staring up in awe, as more and more neighborhood beauty addicts gathered ’round, and women, men, young and old alike, all marveled at the miracle makeup tree.
Each of the $42 palettes (a $110 value), which hung beside a tiny tube of Behind the Scenes Eye Shadow, housed 16 powder eyeshadows in neutral shades, eight of them matte shades and eight of them shimmers.
I could have stood there all day if it hadn’t been for Tabs…
He ran toward the tree, claws poised and ready to climb the trunk!
“Stop!” I called out to him. I wasn’t about to watch my 20-pound tabby get stuck in a makeup tree, so I skittered over and scooped him up.
That’s when I heard someone near me ask if anyone had tried the palette.
“I have,” I said, slinging Tabs over my shoulder. Tabs grumbled, of course, in response. “I think it’s pretty good. I like that it comes with an even mix of mattes and shimmers and that most of the colors are cool toned.”
I plucked one of the palettes from a branch and handed it to a woman standing next to me with a red stroller.
“Makes it a little different from the other neutral eyeshadow palettes that are out there,” I said. “Here, swatch the eyeshadows. They’re super soft, easy to blend, too, and most are packed with pigment.”
I felt a little tickle on the back of my head. Hmm… It was Tabs, chomping on my hair — his way of letting me know that he was hungry and ready to go home.
Just then a perky teenager wearing glittery golden eyeliner asked me a question about fallout.
“There is some,” I replied, “so you may want to do your eye makeup first, and then follow with foundation and powder. Or, tap-tap-tap your brush against something to remove some of the excess powder before applying.”
The LORAC Pro Palette
- The two-piece set includes one 0.17-oz Mini Behind the Scenes Eye Shadow Primer and one palette filled with 16 0.32-ounce pans of powder PRO Eye Shadow.
- The matte shades are White, Cream, Taupe, Light Pink, Mauve, Sable, Espresso and Black; the shimmers include Nude, Champagne, Gold, Light Bronze, Pewter, Garnet, Deep Purple and Slate.
- LORAC Founder Carol Shaw designed the shadows to be worn wet or dry.
- One item of note regarding the shimmers: when worn dry, the shine slowly mellows out over time, turning into more of a sheen by midday.
- I like how the finish of the shimmers changes over time, going from a high-shine to a sheen, but if you’d rather keep the mirror-shine throughout the day, try applying them with a wet brush.
PRICE: $42 each
AVAILABILITY: Available now at Sephora stores and sephora.com
MAKEUP AND BEAUTY BLOG RATING: B+/A-
At the miracle makeup tree, I said goodbye to my new friends and took my cranky tabby home.
It’s like I always say, “makeup brings people together!”
Later that afternoon, I went back to the tree with my camera in hand, but wouldn’t ya know it? — the tree was gone.
Was it all a dream? I wondered. I guess I’ll never know…
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,
P.S. Just so you know, you’re doing a great job this week. We’re almost over the hump!