I have an urgent and important question for you, friend!
Are you ready…?
Brace yourself. Here goes: what’s your karaoke song?
Okay, so maybe it wasn’t important in the Merriam-Webster sense of the word, but I’m curious.
Me? I have a couple of musical standbys honed by the fires of fifty Filipino family gatherings! Seriously, you can always count on two things at a Filipino party — 1) a redonkulous amount of food and 2) karaoke! 🙂
Myself, I like to warm up with a little Phil Collins…
“She’s an easy lover! She’ll take your heart but you won’t feel it!”
And then really get the crowd going with Cheap Trick…
“I waaaant yoooo to want meeee!”
The later meets the three crucial criteria of a top karaoke song. It’s upbeat, almost everyone knows the words to it (so they can sing along), and it doesn’t require any complex vocal gymnastics, which is good because I reserve that kind of thing for my car or shower.
Next time I hit the mic (hopefully soon — karaoke, anyone?), I’m wearing Anastasia’s new holiday 2012 eye makeup kit, because not only does it pay homage to my go-to karaoke tune, but the colors are just plain pretty!
The $34 limited edition Want You to Want Me kit’s lush velvet case houses enough eye makeup to keep your eyes glowing softly while you rock all night long.
The kit includes…
- A gift box with a velvet cover, chain detailing and a magnetic closure (so pretty!)
- An eyeshadow palette with nine powder shades in mostly shimmery brown, beige, taupe and purple colors; the palette pops out of the larger velvet box for easy touch-ups on the road
- A black liquid eyeliner with a thin brush applicator
- A clear brow gel
- A small dual-tipped brush
If you have trubs with eyeshadows that disappear like David Copperfied halfway through the day (POOF!), you just might fall for this palette. I mean, these are shadows Methuselah would like! That is, they last a really, really long time.
I wore them a few times last week layered on top of primer, and I barely noted any creasing or fading, even after 12 hours of wear. I bet they’d handle oily lids with aplomb.
Unfortunately, I do notice a bit of fallout with them when I forget to tap my brush to remove the excess product before applying, but that’s become second nature for me now.
In this case, I’m willing to live with a little fallout (and tapping the brush helps) from the shadows on account of their incredible wear time, and without the minor fallout, I think these shadows would be poi-fect.
Oh, and for my gals with fine lines (right there with ya, boo!), the satin finish from the shimmery shades are so, so forgiving. They look quite shiny in the swatches, I know, but once I get them my lids, the shimmer mellows into more of a soft glow. If you like wearing shiny finishes but feel like you can’t do frosts because they seem to highlight wrinkles, you’ll want to try on this palette.
As for the rest of the kit…
- The dual-tipped brush: The small heads at both ends of the dual-tipped brush aren’t exactly awe-inspiring…but they do a decent job of lining along my lash lines. Beyond that, though, I’ll use a different brush.
- The brow gel: To quote Bill (and Ted) from their ’80s adventure, “Excellent!” The matte finish looks natural to me, and the firm hold freezes my caterpillar brows in place and keeps them there all day.
- The liquid liner: I dig the deep black color and matte finish, but the brush hella stresses me out! I had trouble drawing crisp lines with it and ended up swiping it on the back of my hand first, and then using my Sonia Kashuk Bent Brush to apply it from there.
All told, the Want You to Want Me Holiday Kit succeeded in making me want it. It may not be perfect, but I think there’s some great stuff here, like the long-lasting shadows and brow gel.
AVAILABILITY: Available now at Sephora stores and sephora.com
MAKEUP AND BEAUTY BLOG RATING: B+
Sock it to me!
Today for the first time in months, I woke up cold and put on a pair of socks.
On the one hand (foot?), I’m thrilled about the return of boot season (yay!), but I’m stone cold mad about the prospect of winter…
Have you noticed that the days are getting shorter, too? Time to say so long to the great sunlight in my office at 4 in the afternoon. Now that’s when I’m turning on the lamp on my desk, boo!
Oh, well… At least I have my cat lady socks to keep me warm. 🙂
Do you have any fun pairs of socks? What’s your favorite pair?
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,