Sure, brown and beige eyeshadows are always there when you need ‘em. They’re dependable, like Ford trucks. But sometimes, ya know, I just wanna play with color.
And if my experiments with color don’t work out, so what? It’s only makeup, right? I can always wash it off (unlike that tattoo of Tabs’ face on my arm…kidding).
Following that train of thought, there’s the new NARS Mad Mad World Eyeshadow Duo ($34).
It’s that eye-catching blue and green beauty from the new spring 2013 collection…
With that much color at your disposal, you could go all out by loading one (or both) of the shades on your lids for an intense look, or do something much subtler, like a faint blue whisper similar to what NARS did with model Stella Tennant for the spring 2013 campaign.
Check out her lower lash line. See that blue smudged softly into the black liner? That’s how I’ve been wearing Mad Mad World (minus the pink on my lids…which is a little much for me, but if you can pull if off, more power to ya!).
I think it’s an easy, rock ‘n’ roll-ish spring twist on a basic black liner look.
Mad Mad World isn’t something I can see myself wearing every day of the year, but that doesn’t make it any less fun. Plus, the powders are top-notch. I’m talkin’ smoove…
Pigment plays a starring role in the NARS spring collection, and Mad Mad World is a Best Supporting Actor. Because both shades in the duo pack so much punch, I barely have to use any to make an impact.
I’ll be wearing these eyeshadows until I’m like, 85, for reals!!
I can see it now… A little ol’ 85-year-old lady in a Chanel tweed suit with blue eyeshadow along her lower lash line, walking her cat on a leash. We’ll still be friends then, of course.
AVAILABILITY: Available now at NARS counters and narscosmetics.com
MAKEUP AND BEAUTY BLOG RATING: B+
Zella on sale, new stuff from Hourglass
Slowly…climbing…THE HUMP! (Happy Wednesday!)
And I just got wind of a new line of powders coming out next month from Hourglass.
The six Ambient Lighting Powders, $45 each, supposedly emulate different lighting effects, from pink light to candlelight. There’s also a new $35 Ambient Powder Brush coming, too.
From the official PR…
- DIFFUSED LIGHT: A soft, warm, pale yellow powder. Light your skin with DIFFUSED LIGHT to reduce redness and give skin clarity – like a soft ray of morning light.
- ETHEREAL LIGHT: An opalescent sheer, cool white powder. Light your skin with ETHEREAL LIGHT to mimic a moonlit glow – even in broad daylight.
- RADIANT LIGHT: A sun-kissed golden beige powder. Light your skin with RADIANT LIGHT to extend a summer glow, or enhance the overall complexion with believable, subtle, warmth.
- MOOD LIGHT: A soft, sheer lavender pink powder. Light your skin with MOOD LIGHT to mimic the softest most forgiving light and reveal your brightest complexion.
- DIM LIGHT: A neutral peach beige powder. Light your skin with DIM LIGHT to blur imperfections and highlight a radiant complexion with the perfect balance of warm and cool tones.
- LUMINOUS LIGHT: A champagne pearl powder. Light your skin with LUMINOUS LIGHT to create a soft, incandescent candlelit glow – day or night.
These seem like pressed versions of Bobbi Brown’s new Retouching Powders.
Interesting. I’ll keep you posted.
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,