Once upon a time, a bronzer without orange undertones was about as hard to find as a straight dude into Lifetime movies (love the Tori Spelling ones). Oh, how the times have changed!
A scene from the Lifetime/T-Spell tour de force, “Co-ed Call Girl”
Homies, say buh-bye to the days of orange Oompa Loompa skin and hola to Smashbox Halo Hydrating Perfecting Bronzer ($39).
Part of the Naked Beauty collection for summer 2010, Smashbox created this golden brown bronzer with a matte finish to universally flatter all skin tones. Not only is the color supposed to work on everyone, Smashbox says Halo also hydrates skin and reduces the appearance of wrinkles.
I’ve been wearing it for the last few days and found Halo has a lot of good stuff to offer.
What I like about it…
- Non-orangey, golden brown color grants a naturally tanned look to skin
- Matte finish looks great in pictures (skin doesn’t appear oily)
- 12-hour wear time
- Powder builds well and doesn’t cake
- Travel-friendly, small jar fits easily into a makeup bag
- Packaging feels sturdy
- Shaver contraption in the pan minimizes product waste
- Hydrating formula doesn’t dry out my combination dry/oily/acne-prone skin
- Bronzer is oil-, talc- and paraben- free
- Product avoids settling into fine lines or pores
- Easy to blend
What I don’t like about it…
- $39 = hella expensive
- The small size of the jar makes it difficult to dip a wide blush/brush into the pan
- Didn’t really see a reduction of the appearance of wrinkles
- Powder has a slightly medicinal and minty scent (it disappears quickly)
- Did I mention this is really expensive?
Wearing Smashbox Halo Hydrating Perfecting Bronzer
Makeup and Beauty Blog Rating: B+
Even though it’s pricey, Halo stands out from the crowd of shimmery bronzers pummeling the shelves this summer because of its golden brown color and matte finish. This baby’s one of the better ones I’ve tried so far, and I especially like that it looks natural, isn’t streaky and photographs really well. If you have a wedding or graduation coming up where you’re going to have your picture taken, you might want to take Halo for a spin.
You might like Smashbox Halo Hydrating Perfecting Bronzer if…
- You don’t mind the price
- You want a bronzer that doesn’t look streaky or orange on the skin
- You like a natural, non-shimmery finish
- You need packaging that travels well
- You dig products that are easy to use
Spring’s now in full force in my neighborhood. The area around our condo’s bursting with blooming trees and plants, along with what feels like an endless supply of bugs. Tabs loves it! Whenever I take him outside for walks, there’s always plenty of lizards and insects to stalk and chase.
I’m happy the cat’s mentally stimulated, but the bugs… ugh, they freak me out. There’s always stuff buzzing and flying overhead, and I’m convinced something’s gonna get stuck in my gloss, eww.
Oh! At dusk the other day I noticed hella mosquitoes hovering about. Mosquitoes love biting me, so if anybody knows of a good repellant (or any tricks to keep those suckers far away) please let me know!
Anywho, enough about the creepy crawlies. How has your Tuesday been? Lemme know what’s going on with you.
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,