“Number 5 is Alive!” — Johnny 5, Short Circuit, 1986
Five is not my lucky number (nine is), but apparently someone over at MAC has a thing for it. It’s the unofficial magic number in MAC’s Land of Tartan-ian (my word) Lipstick and Gloss. The MAC A Tartan Tale Collection is rife with fives — five MAC Lipsticks, five Dazzleglass Cremes and sets of five Sassy Lassies Lipglasses (with five Lipglass minis each).
Coincidence? Or subtle homage to 1986’s Short Circuit?
The world may never know, but what we do know is this: MAC A Tartan Tale comes with A LOT of fives and lip colors.
Glaze Lipstick in Courting Lilac ($14)
NOTE TO SELF: Bring bagpipes down to the MAC counter next Thursday, October 28. That’s when the collection arrives in the U.S. International bagpipers will have to hold on a little longer (November 11).
A few notes on the lippies and glosses swatched…
- Glaze Lipstick in Courting Lilac: This shiny violet with subtle golden pearl underwhelmed me in its tube, but it absolutely overachieves on lips. MAC gave it their classic light vanilla scent and kept it unflavored. NARS-ophiles, doesn’t it remind you of a lipstick version of berry-and-gold NARS Sin Blush?
- Lustre Lipstick in Cut A Caper: Forgetting for a moment that we’re talking about MAC, I can’t help but wonder how this warm peachy pink gloss would look with the new NARS holiday blush in Sex Appeal. Like Courting Lilac, it’s also lightly scented with vanilla and remains flavor-free.
- Dazzleglass Creme in Radiant Jewels: A trickster. Don’t be duped by how dark this looks in the tube. It’s a very sheer and shimmery magenta on the lips (has a light vanilla scent, and flavor this time, too).
- Lipglass in Tad Saucy: A pale, cool baby pink with green, blue, silver and rose micro-glitter. It’s the most pigmented of the Sassy Coral Lassies I’ve seen and bears MAC’s signature light vanilla Lipglass flavor and scent.
- Lipglass in Jest For Fun: Great name, right? And the NARS comparisons keep a-comin’! Doesn’t this creamy peachy pink bear a strong resemblance to NARS Turkish Delight Lip Gloss? I think it’s darker, though, with warmer undertones. Take care not to over-apply, lest you end up with lips that look a little porn starry, eek!
- Lipglass in Pretty, Quick!: First impression? A straight up creamy coral, but upon closer inspection you ‘ll see subtle bits o’ shimmer. I it, although it seems more like a summer shade than one I’d wear often in winter.
- Lipglass in Mimmy: When I saw the tube I shouted, “That’s young MAC Lychee Luxe!” Young as in inexperienced, ya know, before she went wild in Cabo over spring break, but the shade’s much sheerer than I thought.
- Lipglass in Hearts-a-beatin': A super pigmented warm reddish coral with golden sparkles. This gal packs a whole lotta color, BAM!
Lustre Lipstick in Cut A Caper ($14)
Dazzleglass Creme in Radiant Jewels ($18)
Tad Saucy (one of five shades from the 5 Sassy Coral Lassies Lipglass kit, $29.50)
Jest for Fun (one of five shades from the 5 Sassy Coral Lassies Lipglass kit, $29.50)
Pretty Quick (one of five shades from the 5 Sassy Coral Lassies Lipglass kit, $29.50)
Mimmy (one of five shades from the 5 Sassy Coral Lassies Lipglass kit, $29.50)
Hearts-a-beatin’ (one of five shades from the 5 Sassy Coral Lassies Lipglass kit, $29.50)
Glaze Lipstick in Courting Lilac, $14
Lustre Lipstick in Cut A Caper, $14
5 Sassy Coral Lassies Lipglass in Hearts-A-Beatin’, Jest For Fun, Mimmy, Pretty, Quick!, Tad Saucy
For more on MAC A Tartan Tale…
Well, M’lady of the Makeup Highlands, see anything your lips would like?
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,
P.S. Not MAC related (at all) but still FANTASTIC news: Sephora’s Friends & Family Sale (20% off) wasn’t officially supposed to start until tomorrow (October 22), but for some reason the discount code already works online, WOOT! If you’re interested, just enter code FF2010 at checkout.
Huzzah! I tried it this morning, and it worked! Thank you, Tiffany, for the heads up. You da bomb.com, girl!