I think I’ve finally found THE gloss to wear on the off chance that I decide to make the jump from curmudgeonly pet assistant to sultry siren: Tom Ford’s new Ultra Shine Lip Gloss in Naivete ($45).
I’ve been deeply committed to dependable my-lips-but-better glosses like MAC Ample Pink, Big Baby and Fulfilled for the past few months because, like flats with low heels, they may not be flashy, but they get the job done.
Tom, however, has me seriously rethinking that. Like a master chef, he seasoned this shiny, striking plum perfectly with a sprinkle of golden glitter and heaping spoonfuls of pigment.
I’m seduced… Naivete makes me want to play the role of tantalizing temptress. On my pout, it looks almost like patent leather, and when I see it, I want to purr (I can’t, but I want to).
Say hey to Naivete…
- The medium-weight, moisturizing formula feels smooth, not sticky.
- Has the faintest semblance of a vanilla flavor and fragrance.
- The firm but flexible brush applicator makes it easy to apply.
- Lasts on my lips from 2-3 hours.
- Starts to fade after about 30 minutes, leaving a dark ring around the edges of my lips, so you might want to layer it on top of a plum lip liner or lipstick (especially if your lips are on the lighter side).
Now the big question: is it worth 45 big ones?
Hmm… That depends. How much do you like the idea of a vibrant, blindingly shiny plum gloss that you have to reapply every couple hours?
I think I’d be much more smitten if not for the price. Naivete isn’t exactly a t-shirt and sweats kinda gloss (my evening outfit of choice). It’s just begging to be worn with a custom couture gown and sky-high (expensive) heels.
AVAILABILITY: Available now at Neiman Marcus stores and neimanmarcus.com
MAKEUP AND BEAUTY BLOG RATING: B+ (gorgeous! — but it doesn’t long, and it’s profoundly expensive)
And speaking of heels…
Would you ever wear these cray-cray Jimmy Choo Dahlia boots?
Oh, look! — they’re only $3,495 (!).
I don’t know… I have a feeling they’d make me look like a Muppet, but I could see someone like Samantha’s character from Sex and the City making ’em work.
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,