The power of packaging compels you! The power of packaging compels you!
And for me with Benefit’s new “I’m Glam… Therefore I am” palette ($36), it almost does. I desperately wanted to bond with B’s new kit of mostly cool-toned colors for eyes, lips and cheeks. That way I’d feel good about giving it a permanent place on my dresser, a place where I could gaze lovingly at the adorable illustrated box.
The glam gal featured on the front reminds me of the girls my friends and I would doodle on our notebooks in school, complete with gown, tiara and opera-length gloves, and her step-by-step makeup lessons imprinted on the packaging describe how to use the palette to achieve two distinct looks, one called Daytime Dahling and the other, Evening Goddess.
Swatches from the left using a flash: Eyeshadows in Pink Fancy, Icy Lilac, Posh Amethyst and Precious Pewter
Swatches from the left using a flash: Glamming Face Powder mixed with Glamming Face Powder II, Girl Meets Pearl, Life on the A List Lip Gloss and Bad Gal Lash Mascara
Swatches snapped without a flash
After swatching these colors the other day, I suspected that the palette’s cool-toned pinks, grays and purples might not work well with my warm, tan skin, and after playing with the pieces today, I regret to report that I still feel that way. These shades, while super pretty, would probably do more for ladies (and gents) with lighter, cool-toned skin.
A few thoughts on the pieces…
- Eyeshadows — The stars of this show, they boast luscious pigments, blend like homemade butter and exhibit very little fallout.
- Blush — I ended up ditching the tiny brush Benefit included for use with cheek product, even though it’s quite cute (just doesn’t pick up enough pigment). Even with a blush brush, though, I have to apply a few layers of this to get it to show up on my cheeks. Like the eyeshadows, it’s probably better suited to lighter-skinned lovelies and cooler-toned pretties.
- Lipgloss — Life on the A List Gloss (isn’t that a great name?) applies very cool, frosty and sheer on me, and I’m not sure how I feel about the strong fruit punch flavor and scent…
- Mascara — Good for lengthening lashes, but I think it’s just okay as far as lash volume. But you know me, right? When it comes to lashes, it’s go drag or go home.
- Girl Meets Pearl — A liquid highlighter, and the warmest shade in the kit. Considering the color temp of the other pieces here, this one seems a little out of place (I do like it though).
Pretty packaging and exceptional eyeshadows should make this a fantabulous kit for ladies who are lucky enough to be able to wear its mostly cool-toned colors well. Even though the shades don’t really work for me, I see a palette here with a lot to like.
AVAILABILITY: Available now online
MAKEUP AND BEAUTY BLOG RATING: B+
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,