Yesterday, I did a post on 43 makeup-related things I’m thankful for. As much as I can go on and on about eye liner, there are other things in life that I also cherish. Here’s the non-makeup edition of my list.
43 Things I’m Thankful For
1. My family, especially my brother. We’re not as close as we used to be when we were younger, but we still share the same sense of weird humor and artistic spirit. Here’s a video of him in action at one of his shows. Warning: if you like easy listening music then this clip might be a little too much metal for you.
2. El Hub. I’ve made a lot of mistakes in my life, but one thing I did get right was marrying the coolest boy I ever met.
Me and El Hub on our wedding day.
3. Clear, crisp fall days perfect for an afternoon run.
4. All of the neighborhood dogs who stroll by my window while I’m writing. I love watching them walk by with their people in tow; they look like the happiest creatures on earth.
5. Showers. It’s strange, but I get my best ideas in the shower. I could just stay in there all day and think of wacky stuff to blog about. Sure, I’d be a waterlogged prune, but hey, creativity comes with a price.
At least I don’t have to cut off my ear.
6. Friends who make you laugh and who will hold your hand through anything and everything.
One of my best buds, Nblack.
7. Dancing. Dancing feeds my soul and always makes me feel closer to the powers-that-be. I love it.
8. Modern medicine and dentistry. It’s kind of a weird thing to be thankful for, I know. But last night I watched an episode of the HBO TV show, Rome, and one scene showed an ancient Roman guy getting operated on. The process included straps, a saw and a filthy kitchen table. I have only three words to convey how I feel about ancient medicinal practices: SO NOT COOL.
9. Sleep. Lots of it.
11. Being healthy. Sure, I creak a little bit more than I used to, but for the most part everything works as it should. I cherish being able to work out, lift weights and go running, because I know that someday I won’t be able to anymore.
12. Music, especially songs that always make me cry, like Ave Maria.
13. The entire frozen foods section of Trader Joe’s.
14. My rock collection (aka small, portable reminders of happiness). I always keep a rock or two with me in my purse; they’re kind of like security blankets of happiness. On days when something special happens to me, I like to pick up a rock and add it to my rock collection. Right now the rock riding around with me is from Spain. I picked it up off the ground on top of a hill in the dry Spanish countryside on the day El Hub asked me to marry him.
15. Modern bathrooms, plumbing and toilet paper. Nuff’ said.
16. Dental floss.
17. The petite section at Banana Republic.
18. The Internets. Not only can one buy a purse on the Internet, you can also find a husband! Damn, that’s progress. How did people pass the time in their cubes back in the day? I can’t even imagine it.
The Lauren Merkin Bianca bag from Shopbop.com, aka too little sleep plus a coupon code for a hundred bucks off equals UH-OH!
20. The joy of writing. There are many things I can’t do, like calculus, woodworking or the dark arts. But one thing I can always count on is the ability to string a few words together to make myself laugh. I’m gonna ride this one for as long and as far as it will take me.
I wear this pin (by Wm Spear Design) every day.
21. The desire to learn. On the learning list so far for 2008: a martial art, fashion photography and acoustic guitar.
22. Finally paying off my car. The last payment goes down this Tuesday. It’s paid for, b*tches, WOOT!
23. The miraculous marriage of Tivo and reality television.
Looking for love in all the wrong places.
24. All of the books that changed my life: The Things They Carried (Tim O’Brien), The Toughest Indian in the World (Sherman Alexie), To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee), The Sun Also Rises (Ernest Hemmingway) …
27. My day job.
28. Having access to clean drinking water.
30. Living relatively close to my parents. They are only an hour away, should they ever need me for an emergency.
31. Being able to appreciate the weird things that people do. Today, I saw two teenage boys at the bus stop dressed up in gorilla suits. It made me strangely happy.
32. The trees that line the street outside my window. I love the sound of their leaves crunching beneath my feet when I walk around outside in the fall.
33. Random acts of kindness.
34. Surfing without a wet suit.
Puta de Mita, Mexico.
36. Shoes that don’t hurt my feet.
37. Cheesy vampire and sci-fi movies.
38. Workout clothes that wick the sweat right off ya.
39. All things MAC…computers, that is. =)
40. Good allergy medicine.
41. Strawberry Frosted Pop Tarts.
42. The sound of El Hub’s snoring on a rainy, stormy night — loud, yet comforting.
43. Getting to know all the cool folks who read this blog!
What are you thankful for?
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,