Beauty Watch 2009: Upcoming Trends

Published in: Just For Fun, News

According to a recent article in Women’s Wear Daily (subscription required), eight trends will set the tone for beauty in 2009.

1. High Impact Makeup Colors: Bold colors for lips, eyes and cheeks
  2. Budget Luxury: Getting the latest looks on the cheap
  3. Do It Yourself: At home waxing, hair coloring and laser hair removal
  4. Makeup as Jewelry: Beauty products as fashion accessories
  5. Bright Nail Colors: Bold nails are back
  6. Messy Updos and Buns: Sloppy chic
  7. Real Women Have Curves: Love your body
  8. Organic Beauty: Go green without sacrificing quality

I think all of these are pretty accurate, but I’m surprised they didn’t talk about matte makeup looks. I have a feeling matte is coming back in a big way.

Do you predict any upcoming beauty trends that aren’t listed here? What did the experts miss?

So far, 28 people have commented on this article. How cool is that?

1. Sydneysider says:

Hi Karen,

Just thought to let you know I love your blog!

As for the trends, I live in Australia, so we’re a bit behind everyone else I think, but I really hope bold lips come back-getting sick of the smokey eye-nude lip combination already.

2. Karen says:

Hi Sydneysider,

It’s so good to meet ya. I really love the look of bold lips, too… but I wish they weren’t so high maintenance, oy! Dark brown and berry lips are supposed to be big for fall so maybe your wish will come true. My MAC Paramount lipstick (a dark, matte brown I wore in the 90s – yes girl, the 90s!) is primed and ready for battle. Do you have a fave dark lip shade?

3. Roxy says:

I think organic beauty is gonna be popular too. EVERYONE is going green! (which is a good thing) lol

Roxys last blog post..MAC: Electro Flash, Sonic Chic, & New View!

4. Roxy says:

PS I just saw your comment on your old blog thanks for referring me to yelp =] I’m from O’ahu you’re from Hawaii aren’t you? I lived in Kalihi when I was little but I was raised in the Salt Lake/Moanalua area.

Roxys last blog post..MAC: Electro Flash, Sonic Chic, & New View!

5. Karen B says:

I have to say that all of those trends are great for me, except maybe for the bold lip thing. (think bycicles, wind, rain and long hair blowing around… lol) but I will try it for parties of course :)

Happy that it’s the weekend dear?

Karen Bs last blog post..Meh

6. Tiffany says:

Hey Karen! I think these sound pretty much on point. Along with organic beauty, I would add more eco-friendliness, like in packaging (even for non-organic products)

Did they go into detail about each one? I need to know more about #2, lol.

7. Dao says:

That’s so exciting! Finally the things that are “in” do not cost that much. I’m kinda err on the bold lips though, I can’t pull that off quite well and don’t have anything bolder than Black Honey (if that color is considered bold at all!)

Daos last blog post..Ancient News

8. melissa says:

Hm, what do they mean by the beauty as jewelry trend? Do they mean makeup painted on to look like jewelry?

9. Brittany says:

I wonder what they mean by number two…Do they mean like when Gryson did a line of handbags for Target? The whole idea of designer/luxury but costing way less? That one is a little confusing to me. If it saves me money and I can look awesome, I’m happy.

I’m excited about fall makeup trends! I’ve already started to scope out darker colored lip sticks/glosses for fall. I’m also really excited that the whole bright nail polish trend is continuing. I’ve been wearing the OPI Mod about Brights colors all summer. Luckily I work somewhere where I can show up with bright green nail polish and they’re not fazed :P

Have a great weekend!

10. Amanda says:

I’m excited for bold colors on eyes, which I already do occasionally. I wonder if they mean jewel tones, like purple and green? and once fall comes around I will try the dark bold lips.

I’m also pumped for bright nails and messy buns. I do these a lot already too. and yay for budget luxury and going green/organic. love the sound of those trends.

11. Karen says:

Hi Roxy,

You’re welcome! I hope you can find some good salons/restaurants in your neck of the woods.

I love Oahu! I’m not from there, but I go there a lot because that’s where my husband family is from. They live on the windward side. I was just there a month ago. Why did you move out to Arizona?

Soo random, but I want a loco moco for breakfast. :)

12. Karen says:

Hi Karen B.,

That’s the big issue I have with bold lips, too. They are so beautiful when you first get them on and then you have to deal with real life!

The weekend is going great. I’ve been having these on/off migraines which screw me up a bit but other than that it’s been mellow. I went to the movies last night, slept in a little this morning and hopefully today I’ll get to go to Sephora. :)

What’s new with you?

13. Karen says:

Hi Tiffany,

Yeah, it’s an entire article but you need to be a subscriber to read it. The second one is basically just getting beautiful without having to spend the big bucks — drugstore beauty and all that. I think some drugstore lines, like Sonia Kashuk’s, are really great quality for the price.

14. Karen says:

Hi Melissa,

I think they mean makeup products that double as jewelry!

15. Karen says:

Hi Brittany,

Yup, I think that’s what they mean. I am down for looking good on the cheap too!

That’s cool that you can wear bright greens to work! Do you work in a creative field?

16. Karen says:

Hi Amanda,

I think they mean products that double as jewelry you can wear. But I can totally get behind jewel-toned eyes!

It sounds like you are already ahead of the beauty tend curve!

17. Charu says:

I’m not surprised at “beauty as accessories” –the Missoni Perfume Charm necklace made me want to go buy dozens of baubles last year! I predict solid scents on bracelet charms, anklets, rings etc. (some of which have already come to fruition).

Karen, thanks for parsing the WWD article here! I’d love to link exchange with you and recently started http://www.butterflydiary.com.

I agree with you about matte makeup…but mentioning organic beauty is so passe.. I mean, who doesn’t love/ do organic anymore? I think the real test is whether we’re getting smarter about separating the TRUE organic beauty from the marketing ploys.

Charus last blog post..Topshop to Hit the U.S. in October

18. Karen B says:

Yeah. Great make-up and then suddenly reality.

Not much. Pretty laid-back weekend for me. i’ve been trying out make-up looks for my mum. She has to go to a wedding next saturday and she’s allowed me to do her make-up for once :) I tried out a look with a lot of Mutiny pigment (as her dress-top has the exact same colour in it) and she liked it :)

Karen Bs last blog post..Meh

19. shockingpink says:

i love matte.hahaha i hope it will be a year for mattes :) i was getting tired of all the shimmery stuff. but i just thought metallic eye thing were just in.hahaha the wonders of fashion.anyhow.
    i love bright lip and cheek colors! also the bold nails, i guess bold nails has been the look for me ever since.and yay to sloppy chic.i have trouble creating buns.
    thankyou for your post.hehehe.keep up the good work:)

20. Charu says:

Charus last blog post..Topshop to Hit the U.S. in October

21. Brittany says:

Not at all, I work in a doctor’s office. I just have a cool employer, I guess :P

22. Sydneysider says:

Hi Karen,

I recently bought NARS lip lacquer in Diablo, which is a pretty bold cherry red for look-at-me lips! :-)
    I want to check out that Stila cherry lip glaze too, apparently it’s quite good. So many lipsticks, so little time…:-D

23. Karen says:

Hi Charu,

Thanks for providing your link. I’ll take a look at it when I get the chance. :)

24. Karen says:

Hi Karen B.,

How fun! What look did your mum ultimately decide on?

25. Karen says:

Hi Shockingpink,

Thanks! I think eventually they’ll be back in; I just hope the look isn’t as severe as it was in the 90s! LOL, I have trubs creating buns, too!

26. Karen says:

Hi Brittany,

Nice! That’s a totally cool employer! Do you get to wear whatever you want, too?

27. Karen says:

Hi Sydneyinsider,

I want that lip glaze, too. Stila makes a lot of good stuff! I just recently got into the line and I’m really liking it.

Oh, speaking of red gloss, have you tried MAC Russian Red Lipglass?

28. Sydneysider says:

Hi Karen,

Yeah, I love Stila. I don’t know if I can carry off MAC Russian Red though, but I’ve seen your FOTD pics and it looks good on you! :-)