Beauty, Art and Technology Collide with Digital Eyeshadow

My guess is that you probably won’t see it being sold at Wally World anytime soon, but I still think it’s kinda neat — a digital “eyeshadow” that responds to eyelid movement.

Lulin Ding, an industrial designer, translated the idea of eyeshadow into a digital form using LED lights, creating a piece that merges beauty, technology and art.

A blink of the eye sets off the contraption to automatically light up the inner corner:

I was interested in the way women wear eyeshadow and how most of the time you can only see the details when their eyes are closed. I sought to translate the attributes of eyeshadow into a digital medium. I made the initial decision to use the light to paint the eyelids when you blink and close your eye. To digitize the object even more and I programmed the individual LEDs to vary their brightness. This added feature allows different -patterns to light upon your eyelids.
Lulin Ding

So very sci-fi, right? I could easily see it as a funky trend worn by the beauty team in The Hunger Games, or maybe even by Sean Young’s character, Rachael, in Bladerunner.

Would you rock it? I totally would for Halloween. Or maybe to my parents house just so I could freak out my mom, haha!

Would you wear digital eyeshadow?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

So far, 23 people have commented on this article. How cool is that?

1. Kim says:

What an interesting take on eyeshadow! I had to give it a “heck no” just for the inconvenience of keeping the thing attached, and the possible freak out that might result from blinking lights near my eye. :) I agree it could be totally cool on someone else, though!

2. auroragyps says:

I can’t imagine that that is good for your eyes or the skin around them.

It’s probably not for every day use (unless you’re nuts?). I’d try it just for the heck of it, but knowing me I’d need to take it off after five minutes, haha!

3. Ariana says:

Yes this would be perfect for the Hunger Games movie especially when they meet all the tributes and they show it on the TV’s of all the districts. It’d be great for the character of Glimmer. I really want this now so I could dress up as Glimmer for Halloween!!! Btw I didn’t know you were a lover of the Hunger Games, can’t wait until the movie comes out.

4. Jessi says:

I think it would be incredibly distracting to have lights shining right in your eyes. Plus, how would you review these eyeshadows? How is the pigmentation; do they blend well? Haha, none of those citeria would work :-P
    Jessi recently posted … Under-appreciated Brand Alert! New York Summer Nail Polish Swatches

5. Shannon says:

hm… I dunno. It reminds me of those blinking holiday pins that people wear around the office.
    I’m all for the reimagining of things, but I don’t think this is a very successful reimagination of makeup. I wouldn’t mind it, say, in a museum (cool concept art), but I don’t think it would translate well to the street or even the runway.

6. Jessica says:

Oh, no. Just having that many wires around my eye seems creepy.

7. Cyra says:

hunger games aaah :) I’m so excited for the movie!

• Ariana says:

YAY!!! HUNGER GAMES!! lol I wonder if they’ll make like a special Hunger Games makeup line like they did with Twilight, because if they do I think I might just buy them out :D

id totally give that a try! :()

9. Faye says:

I can imagine seeing this in the next Sex and the City film, I think Carrie would definatly be able to pull this off but on me? I think not…..I have trouble getting my smokey eyes to stay in place never mind a light bulb! : ) x

10. Beatrice says:

I feel like this is very editorial looking. Like it’s not practicle for every day use but it probably looks really cool in pictures and movies :D
    Beatrice recently posted … Fairytale Inspired Tutorial- The Princess And The Pea

11. Hazel says:

hell yes! i love when electronics/technology comes into makeup!!! remember those led lashes? i’d totally wear them!

12. Chris25 says:

The idea is intriguing. I mean, just when I thought I’d seen it all…LOL. I can see this happening at a really high tech photo shoot. It seems sort of experimental for the sake of curiosity rather than an invention for practical use.

13. Vijaya says:

I would, except that thing looks uncomfortable and inconvenient.
    Vijaya recently posted … CeraVe PM Facial Moisturizing Lotion

14. Maddy says:

Umm, I can totally see Effie Trinket wearing one of these in hot pink…

15. vive says:

I was thinking more like The Fifth Element!
    vive recently posted … eyeliner