If you’ve ever spent half the day at the salon — which, incidentally, I totally have — chances are good you’ll either like or love the MAC Is Beauty collection (available starting Monday, March 30, 2015).
Where many MAC collections embrace an edgier, almost anti-establishment/counter-culture vibe, this collection hangs out in the salon on the completely opposite end of that spectrum. It says, “Yeah, it’s cool to get your glam on.” For me it’s all about putting your hair up in curlers (yay!), indulging in a little pampering and hanging out with your girlfriends.
And, for the record, I’m on board with that. 🙂
A big chunk of the release is devoted to liners, with some Kohls, a Penultimate Liquid Eye Liner and 16 Pro Longwear Fluidlines.
There’s also Shade, which I actually had a conversation about at the salon the other day. I was getting my bangs trimmed by my friend Alis, who’s both a hairdresser and a MAC-loving makeup artist, and we were talking about Fluidlines when she mentioned a shade that she loved. It was Shade! — and it’s actually in this release!
It’s a deep, beautiful dark green — like a mysterious green that almost looks black. Alis, who’s a redhead, said it’s a ride-or-die shade for redheads, but my brown eyes and I lurve it too.
Regarding the Eye Shadows in the collection…I really wanted to freak out (in a good way) about them, but I haven’t. Not as much as I hoped/thought.
I’ve tried three of the four so far, and they just seem sort of OK to me. One of them, chalky pale pink matte Yogurt, is a little sheerer and harder than I’d like, and another, Veluxe Pearl Bouffant, takes a little too much elbow grease to show up well on my NC 42 skin.
But I digress… Enough talk. More pics. 🙂
MAC Is Beauty: The Eye Shadows
MAC Is Beauty: The Cremesheen Glasses
MAC Is Beauty: The Beauty Powders
MAC Is Beauty: The Lipsticks
There are also 12 lipsticks in the collection spread out among three finishes, most of them Lustres and Amplifieds (there’s also one Matte). Again, it’s hard to pick a favorite just because, you know…but I’d go with one of the Amplified shades — either bright coral Real Sexy or intense coral-pink Make Me Gorgeous. I love the smooth formula and intense pigment.
And, of course, the coral. I’m kind of easy that way. 🙂
I do have to say that I haven’t been impressed by Silly, the bright white pink Matte. I really wanted to love it because, I mean, that bright, vibrant pink is insane, but the matte finish…? Not one of MAC’s better moments, I think. It’s been very drying, and I can see the formula settle into my lines, despite trying a whole bunch of things to prep my lips first and make it apply smoother. I just can’t work it out.
As for the Lustres…some of them look alike on my pigmented lips. Maybe I’m not the ideal candidate for them.
Oh, well. It happens.
MAC Is Beauty: The Pro Longwear Fluidline gel eyeliners
It’s darned-near impossible for me to pick a favorite from among the Fluidlines in this release, but if I had to (here we go)…I’d choose matte turquoise Blue Peep. It’s just so unusual, eye-catching and striking.
MAC Is Beauty: The Brushes (2 of 3)
MAC Is Beauty: Penultimate Eye Liner
MAC Is Beauty: Zoom Lash mascara
MAC Is Beauty: Eye Kohl
MAC Is Beauty: Studio Nail Lacquers
In my favorite promotional pic for the collection, there’s a trio of glamorous gals in a salon. There’s a hoity-toity lady with peach nails sitting in a chair, a nasty little dirty-birdy hairdresser with light pink paws showing off her bra, and a lady in the back with Coke can curlers and green-tipped nails.
All of the lacquers look creamy and pastel, but they’re not timid, if that makes any sense. Sometimes when I think of pastel shades, I think of shy shades that don’t want to make any noise, but these pastels stomp-walk into the room like supermodels.
MAC Is Beauty: Swatches (for reference, I’m an NC 42)
The MAC Is Beauty Collection includes…
EYESHADOWS, $16 each
- Matte Eye Shadow in Yogurt, a chalky pale pink
- Satin Eye Shadow in Preening, a mint green shimmer
- Satin Eye Shadow in Wow Factor, a medium lavender
- Veluxe Pearl Eye Shadow in Bouffant, a pale peachy shimmer
EYE KOHLS, $16 each
- I Get No Kick, a pale nude shimmer
- Fascinating, a chalky white
STUDIO CHROMAGRAPHIC PENCIL, $16
PENULTIMATE EYE LINER, $20
- Rapidblack Black
ZOOM LASH, $17
CREMESHEEN GLASSES, $20 each
- On the Scene, a pale peach
- Fashion Scoop, a pale pink
- Star Quality, a bright pink
- Japanese Spring, a pale lilac
BEAUTY POWDERS, $26 each
- Alpha Girl, a soft peachy pink with gold
- Pearl Blossom, a light pink with silvery pearl
STUDIO NAIL LACQUERS, $12 each
- French Tipped, a pale pink
- To Dye For, a pale peach
- Doll Me Up, a pale mint green
BRUSHES, $24-42 each
- 137 Long Blending, $42
- 221 Mini Tapered Blending, $24
- 267 Curved Angle, $24
LIPSTICKS, $16 each
- Matte Lipstick in Silly , a bright white-pink
- Lustre Lipstick in Real Doll , a light pinkish lilac
- Amplified Lipstick in Reel Sexy , a bright coral
- Amplified Lipstick in Diva-ish , an intense fucshia
- Lustre Lipstick in French Twist , a a light pink nude
- Lustre Lipstick in Real Redhead , a mauve nude
- Lustre Lipstick in Call the Hairdresser , a rosy mauve
- Lustre Lipstick in Catty , a light creamy pink
- Lustre Lipstick in Notice Me , a pale lilac
- Lustre Lipstick in Pure Vanity , a pale peach nude
- Lustre Lipstick in Highlights , a very pale creamy peach
PRO LONGWEAR FLUIDLINES, $16 each
- Lowlights, a deep bronze
- Copperthorn, a coppery bronze
- Our Secret, a milk chocolate brown
- Deliciously Rich, a shimmering dirty taupe with golden pearl
- Shade, a deep green
- Midnight Snack, a deep metal gray
- Macroviolet, a sparkly purple
- Looking Good, a sparkly burgundy
- Ivy, a fresh leaf green
- Blue Peep, a turquoise blue
- Siahi a deep ocean blue
- Brassy, a brassy gold
- Silverstroke, a silver
- Blacktrack, a solid flat black
- Blitz & Glitz, an intense black with golden pearl
- Waveline, a navy blue with low level gold pearl
Be warned: this collection may bring out your inner glamazon and make you feel like you just spent a rejuvenating afternoon at the salon, perhaps drinking white wine, and then maybe texting your best friend to tell her that you’re at the salon getting highlights…and you may or may not be a little tipsy. 🙂
I love this kind of makeup — accessible, yet super glamorous.
Also, another warning: you’ll probably want to fall in love with Silly when you see it, but I’d steer clear.
I mean, you will fall in love with it when you see it; your eyes will make little hearts (mine did).
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,