Do you hear that?
It’s the most beautiful thing I’ve ever heard.
Oh, my goodness! I think I know what it is. That’s the siren song of the new MAC Alluring Aquatic collection.
Gah! Lure me in, why don’t ya? — with your lustrous teal packaging, Neptunian theme and the inviting Extra Dimension formula that makes me want to dive into your shimmery waters without fear or hesitation.
Yeah…this stuff sings to me.
The release splashes ashore May 15 at maccosmetics.com and May 22 at North American MAC counters (internationally some time in May).
The packaging…I lurves it. Shimmery, shiny and teal, and the little water droplets make it unlike anything I’ve seen before, at least that I can remember.
The ship sets sail with 32 pieces — a good many of them lipsticks and lipglosses — with a couple of lip pencils and plenty of beautiful pieces with MAC’s Extra Dimension formula (eyeshadows, bronzers and blushes). There are also a couple of liners, nail polishes, regular powder brushes, a makeup bag and a few other tidbits (full list down below).
Soft, shimmery eyes, chrome nails and glistening skin characterize the collection. Think cheeks with a soft, satiny sheen. Harsh is not the operative word.
The lips vary widely from warm nudes to neutral pinks, deep violets, bronzes and plums, giving a MAC Alluring Aquatic siren a lot of lip choices.
I love it when MAC includes Extra Dimension products in their collections because of how well those blasted things blend, and how amazingly long they last.
Don’t be scurred of the shine and frost you see here, even if you’re afraid of shimmer, because in these looks I’m wearing the shadows rather intensely. Overall, I think they’re quite wearable.
I packed them on with the MAC 233 Split Fibre Eye Shadow Brush from the collection, but a MAC 217, with its fluffier domed shape, would deliver a lighter wash of soft, shimmery color.
I’ve been playing with four of the six Extra Dimension Eye Shadows this morning, and here some quick thoughts…
Extra Dimension Eye Shadow in Lorelei
Lorelei is otherworldly! What a lovely golden beige and a great everyday color. I think it also has hints of peach in it…
I love it just buffed all over the lids. I know that it looks a little frosty in the swatch, but that’s partly due to the flash. It’s not quite as shiny in person (more of a subtle sheen), and I think it looks gorgeous with peaches and golds, like — ooh! — Indianwood Paint Pot or Woodwinked. You could do Woodwinked on the lid, Lorelei in the inner corners and lower lash lines and Soft Brown in the crease.
Extra Dimension Eye Shadow in Legendary Lure
MAC calls Legendary Lure Extra Dimension Eye Shadow a deep cerulean…
I love that word — cerulean. 🙂
On my NC42 skin, it reminds me of a simpler MAC Club without Club’s flash of reddish brown, so basically a tantalizing teal-ish gray.
I love those peacock feather colors, ya know? I can’t wait to wear this one with a deeper green, maybe something like MAC Tarnished Eye Kohl.
Extra Dimension Eye Shadow in Fathoms Deep
Fathoms Deep, which is technically a deep blue, interestingly enough looks more like a dark gunmetal periwinkle on me (Lots of blue shades often lean purple on my skin tone… Weird!).
Since I’m a sucka for smokey eyes, all I want to do with this one is smudge a black liner all over my lash lines and smoke it out on top.
I’m looking forward to trying it with the nude lip shades from the collection, like Peachstock Lipglass, for a summery smokey eye.
Extra Dimension Eye Shadow in Soul Serenade
As for deep plummy brown Soul Serenade Extra Dimension Eye Shadow, it’s also sure to lure smokey eye fans.
With these shadows, because they are quite shiny, I like to add a matte shadow up in the mix. For me, whenever I wear shiny shades like these, I like to have something matte or satin to balance everything out, like I actually took one of the Extra Dimension Bronzers from the collection and put it in the crease.
That’s not a rule, mind you. If you like the full-on shine, girlfriend, go for it. Sometimes I do too.
Pearlglide Intense Eye Liners in Black LIne and Black Swan
The shimmer theme continues with the two Pearlglide Intense Eye Liner pencils.
Black Line, a black with golden pearl, and Black, a black with black pearl are both re-promotes, and they’re slightly more expensive than their permanent collection counterparts due to the limited edition packaging ($17.50 for the LE packaging versus $16).
These smooth, pigmented, long-lasting pencils apply almost as smoothly as a gel liner.
If they have an Achilles’ heel, it could be summer, depending on where you live. It’s been freakishly hot here this week, and the air conditioning isn’t working in my office. Both of these pencils became so soft that I had to be careful not to break the tips.
Right now I’ve got them in my fridge! 🙂
When they’ve stiffened up a little, I like to apply them either directly to my lash lines, or I run a MAC 266 brush across the tip (I don’t usually use them on my water lines because they are quite glittery).
I think these are fab for intense liner with smudgy edges.
The MAC Alluring Aquatic collection includes…
- Lustre Lipstick in Siren Song, a sheer pale beige ($17.50)
- Frost Lipstick in Pet Me, Please Me, a light shimmering mauve ($17.50)
- Matte Lipstick in Enchanted One, a mid-tone neutral pink ($17.50)
- Cremesheen Lipstick in Mystical, a mid-tone creamy rose ($17.50)
- Cremesheen Lipstick in Goddess of the Sea, a dark vibrant violet ($17.50)
- Lipglass in Clear Water, a sheer nude with multidimensional pearl ($16.50)
- Lipglass in Peachstock, a creamy true nude ($16.50)
- Lipglass in Water Deities, a light bronzy pink ($16.50)
- Lipglass in Seducing Sound, a mid-tone plum bronze ($16.50)
- Lipglass in Modern Lure, a deep violet with pink pearl ($16.50)
- Lip Pencil in What Comes Naturally, a light nude ($16.50)
- Lip Pencil in Half-Red, a soft burgundy ($16.50)
- Extra Dimension Eye Shadow in Lorelei, a golden beige ($19.50)
- Extra Dimension Eye Shadow in Sea Worship, a tarnished olive ($19.50)
- Extra Dimension Eye Shadow in Silver Sun, a mid-tone dirty sea foam green ($19.50)
- Extra Dimension Eye Shadow in Legendary Lure, a deep cerulean ($19.50)
- Extra Dimension Eye Shadow in Fathoms Deep, a deep blue ($19.50)
- Extra Dimension Eye Shadow in Soul Serenade, a deep plum brown ($19.50)
- Pearlglide Intense Eye Liner in Black Line, a black with golden pearl ($17.50)
- Pearlglide Intense Eye Liner in Black Swan, a black with pearl ($17.50)
- Bronzing Powder in Refined Golden, a finely spun golden with soft pearl ($27.50)
- Bronzing Powder in Golden, a muted golden tan-beige with shimer ($27.50)
- Extra Dimension Bronzer in Aphrodite’s Shell, a golden bronze with a touch of fine shimmer ($33)
- Extra Dimension Bronzer in Delphic, a soft brick tan with a touch of fine shimmer ($33)
- Extra Dimension Blush in Sea Me, Hear Me, a beige pink ($27.50)
- Extra Dimension Blush in Seduced at Sea, a mid-tone neutral plum ($27.50)
- Nail Lacquer in Submerged, a dark teal chrome ($17.50)
- Nail Lacquer in Neptune, a tarnished gold ($17.50)
- Nail Lacquer in Shimmerfish, a sparkling aluminum ($17.50)
- 147 Split Fibre Face Brush ($35)
- 233 Split Fibre Eye Shadow Brush ($25)
- Makeup Bag ($35)
I’ve got more MAC Alluring Aquatic collection coverage coming up, so stay tuned, fellow makeup mermaids (and mermen!).
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,
More MAC Alluring Aquatic collection coverage…
- Fishing for Ideas With the New MAC Alluring Aquatic Collection: 7 Lip Pencil, Lipstick and Lipglass Combinations
- A Metallic Green and Warm Smokey Brown MAC Alluring Aquatic Face of the Day
- The MAC Alluring Aquatic Collection Extra Dimension Bronzers and Blushes Are Making Waves With Me
- The MAC Alluring Aquatic Lipsticks, Lipglasses and Lip Pencils Are off the Port Bow
- The MAC Alluring Aquatic Collection Extra Dimension Eye Shadows and Pearlglide Intense Eye Liners Are off the Starboard Bow