You might be wondering, “So what the heck is this Monday Poll thing anyway?”
Well, it isn’t much of a poll. It’s more just a constantly evolving (devolving?), somewhat random list of questions I’ve been putting out to readers every Monday morning for the past four years. I’ve always enjoyed reading your answers in the comments, and I hope you enjoy reading mine.
I’m okay. I’m a little anxious just because I kind of want to play hooky today and spend the last day of the year doing fun things out and about.
- What’s one thing you’ve been doing a lot lately?
Eating. Everything that comes across my path. Because at family celebrations, um, there’s just a ton of food, and it’s everywhere.
- What’s one of the best things that happened to you in 2012?
I went to Kauai last spring with El Hub. It was one of those things where I really needed a vacation, and it was the perfect type of vacation that I needed at the time. I didn’t do much, just hung out at the beach, swam my little mermaid’s heart out, and I hung out with the beach kitties. It was relaxing and just fun.
- What are you hoping for in 2013?
I’m thinking…to be honest, I would love to have my work and my personal life balanced. I want to be able to write with passion and joy and not feel so angry when I get a bout of writer’s block.
- Are you protective of anyone?
Yes. My cat, my brother and El Hub, although El Hub doesn’t really need a lot of protecting. Maybe just protecting from himself when he buys clothes.
- What fragrance have you been loving lately? Have you been loving any fragrances lately?
Yes. Coco Mademoiselle. I’ve been wearing it since about 2007, off and on. When I went to that Chanel thing, that trolley thing a couple weeks ago, I just sort of fell in love with Chanel scents again.
- Have you ever worked a retail job over the holidays?
Yeah. Jen and I did a ton of retail jobs together when I was in college. The most memorable one was when we worked at the Limited together over Christmas. I just remember the soundtrack in the store… They played Motown all the time, and we had so much fun. I sold a ton of fuzzy sweaters to clueless dudes, and purse wallets.
- Overall, how would you characterize 2012?
It was a good year. You get older, and you start to realize that you’re not going to have your family around forever, so when you make it through another year, and everybody’s healthy, and you still have your core family members around, you’re just really happy. I mean, these days I get excited to just have things stay the same, even though I know that sounds really boring.
- What are you doing tonight? Are you going out for New Year’s?
I still don’t know! No parties. I STILL DON’T KNOW!! El Hub and I aren’t exactly “planning” (insert air quotes) people. I have a feeling we’re going to wing it, or end up eating a pizza in front of the TV with Tabs begging for food.
- What are your weekly goals?
I want to make a healthy dinner at 6 o’clock every day. I want to end each day not feeling completely loony tunes, and feel like I did good work. And I want to give Tabs extra lovies because I feel like he’s been needing his mama.
To complete the Monday Poll, just copy the following list, and paste it with your answers in the comments.
1. How do you feel right now?
2. What’s one thing you’ve been doing a lot lately?
3. What’s one of the best things that happened to you in 2012?
4. What are you hoping for in 2013?
5. Are you protective of anyone?
6. What fragrance have you been loving lately? Have you been loving any fragrances lately?
7. Have you ever worked a retail job over the holidays?
8. Overall, how would you characterize 2012?
9. What are you doing tonight? Are you going out for New Year’s?
10. What are your weekly goals?
It’s the last day of 2012. We made it through another year together, and I feel like I say this every year, but this one really did seem to go by fast, and let me just say that as you get further up into your 30s, something odd happens where the days seem to just fly by, and the seasons fly by, and it’s honestly something that I never anticipated happening.
Just you wait. Wait until it happens to you, you’ll be like, “Hey, Karen, you were so right!”
I just want to wish you a happy new year, for one, and say that whatever you’re doing today, even if it’s just working, or you’re puttering around the house, or just hanging around with your family, I hope that you get to do a little something for yourself today that makes you happy. Maybe it’s painting your nails, or curling your hair, or straightening your hair, whatever it is. Try to end the year on a good note.
Before you know it, we’ll be talking in 2013.
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,