Today Stef of the can’t-miss We Heart This (’cause chicks love stuff) shares six of her favorite coral lip glosses.
I’m not sure when the change happened; when coral became an acceptable color choice for those outside the senior set. I’m just so glad it happened! Because for the last few years, when the weather gets warm, the corals start popping up. I find nothing brightens up your face more than the pop of coral, with its brighter than peach, but not quite orange glow.
MAC Strawberry Blonde Lipstick
My love affair with coral started with the infamous MAC Strawberry Blonde limited edition lipstick, a lustre from the 2006 Catherine Denuve collection. Described as a Coral Pink, it’s the measure in which I judge all corals by. As in “it’s pretty, but it’s no Strawberry Blonde.”
I brought it out in the desert sun so you could get a glimpse of it. This is semi-sheer, bright and flat-out gorgeous! Of course, I’m not the only one who fell hard for this. And to find it now, you pay dearly. But it’s oh-so worth it! I’ve tried dupes but never found another lipstick I like as much as this perfect coral.
So I moved on to the next logical step â€¦ lip gloss! A bit of a lip gloss addict, I could (and often do) spend hours talking about the merits of a perfect gloss. I can’t tell you how many times friends have grabbed a gloss from my hands in the middle of a store and scolded me that I didn’t need it, that I had a color just like it at home. But they’re always wrong, I do NOT have a color “just like” it. I never do.
So without further ado, I bring you my top six favorite coral glosses (and I do have to apologize, because a couple of them were LE, and you may have to really search to find them).
From the top:
- Smashbox Sheer Color in Red Rock — Sheer Coral Red Shimmer. This is one of the brighter glosses of the bunch, and it looks absolutely fabulous with summer, sun-kissed skin. You’re in luck, my pretties! This LE shade is not only still available, but on sale for only $13.50.
- Smashbox True Color in Beauty ($18) — Smashbox calls this Pink Melon; I call it perfect. It’s a pinky coral, with no shimmer, and super glossy coverage. If I had to only wear one gloss for the rest of my life, Beauty would be it. Just a lovely pop of summery color to give your lips that cheery, baby doll look (and the most similar to my beloved Strawberry Blonde).
- MAC Dazzleglass in Smile ($18.50) — Light coral with pink and gold pearl (the pink pearl really dominates the gold). Brand new and super hot. If you don’t know the joy of a Dazzleglass, go get one immediately. It’s like crushed diamonds on your lips but with none of the grit. Smile is sheer but really adds a nice milky coral hue to plain lips or a bit more oomph to coral lipsticks.
- MAC Lipglass in Red Devil ($14) — Coral Orange Frost. Sorry, this was a limited edition color from the Blonde, Brunette, Redhead collection and you may be SOL trying to find it. It’s the brightest of my favs, with big color payoff for a bold look. If you come up empty on a search, try the Smashbox Red Rocks; they’re very similar.
- Hourglass Extreme Sheen in Lush ($28) — Coral Shimmer. Oh, but not just any shimmer. Lush has micro fine gold shimmer (in my opinion, the prettiest of the shimmers!). I am in love with Extreme Sheens. They have a buttery consistency with no stickiness at all.
- Trish McEvoy Lip and Cheek Stain in Pick-Me-Up ($28) — Coral Stain. Sorry, another LE. But well worth the hunt if you, too, are cuckoo for coral. This actually has a bit of coral shimmer to it (which is rare for a stain), and it makes a fabulous base for any of the glosses listed here. And it Does. Not. Budge — even when you’re trying to remove it!
What about it, ladies? Have a favorite coral that you think deserves a spot in this hall of fame? Do tell! ‘Cause I could always use another glossâ€¦
This post was written by Stef of We Heart This. A graphic designer and bona fide lip gloss and face serum addict, Stef loves MAC lipstick, Hourglass gloss, Paula Dorff Blush and Stila shadows. She lives in the Southern California desert with her husband, their four dogs and the world’s most patient cat.