Memory is a funny thing, isn’t it? So many times I read the same tips over and over again — tips that have helped me before, but then I forget that they exist until I read them again, and it’s like, “Well I’ll be damned. That would totally work!”
Here’s one I know I’ve heard before, but I recently read it again: sometimes when you aren’t feeling great first thing in the morning, it can help to spend a little extra time getting ready.
Like, say goodbye to the sweats, and put something on that makes you feel cute. You know, fix your hair, do your makeup — that kind of thing — even if you totally aren’t in the mood.
To the first person who figured that out, wherever you are, thank you. You saved my butt this morning.
I woke up exhausted after an orange alert meltdown last night. It’s my fault, because I haven’t been taking my breaks throughout the day, which slowly turns me into a crazy person.
On top of that, I’ve been riding a PMS-fueled hormonal tidal wave, and everything has been getting on my last nerve. I’m serious, that one nerve is RAW.
Ha! OK, but seriously, I turned into a rabid cat in my office yesterday, and my poor computer chair… I kicked the living crap out of that thing, and then I cried non-stop for 45 minutes.
I felt much better this morning, but nowhere near my usual self. Without really thinking about it, I grabbed a pair of stretchy pants and a wrinkled tee shirt and planned to put my hair up in a bun and skip my makeup.
But then I remembered that tip about spending a little extra time getting ready when you feel blue…
After a long shower, during which I did a hair mask, a body scrub and even shaved my toes (yay!), I put on one of my favorite dresses, spritzed some Chanel Coco Mademoiselle Perfume, and slicked a hot pink lipstick on my lips.
Never underestimate the power of hot pink lipstick, my friend. It’s even better than chicken soup.
Today I haven’t once felt the urge to punch any office furniture. 🙂 Cupcakes for everyone!
NARS Satin Lip Pencil in Yu, the hot pink I’m wearing in these pics, couldn’t be easier to apply (unless it applied itself…which would be scary and weird). It’s from the new Digital World holiday set. One of the things I like about it, in addition to the color, is that I can line and fill in my lips with the same pencil.
Yu is one of five Lip Pencils in the $49 Digital World set (coming November 1 exclusively to Sephora), which also includes the Satin Lip Pencils in tea rose Descanso and peachy coral Torres Del Paine, and the Velvet Matte Lip Pencils in scarlet Cruella and warm orange Iberico.
The set also comes with a gorgeous box, perfect to reuse for storing brushes, cat treats and/or additional NARS Lip Pencils (they’re addictive!).
The makeup breakdown…
- BECCA Eye Priming Perfector — base
- MAC Paints in Sublime Nature — all over lid
- MAC Fluidline in Blacktrack — upper lash line to tightline
- NARS Larger Than Life Long-Wear Eyeliner in Rue Bonaparte — water line
- Topshop Doe Eyed Lashes — upper and lower lashes
- Tom Ford Brow Sculptor in Espresso
- Dolce & Gabbana Aurealux Cream — I usually like to moisturizer before applying primer (helps whatever I layer on top look richer and smoother), although I think I’m going to stick to using this at night for now on because it pills when I layer it with Smashbox Pore Minizing Photo Finish Primer
- Dolce & Gabbana Aurealux Eye Gel
- MAC Prep + Prime Natural Radiance Primer
- Smashbox Pore Minimizing Photo Finish Foundation Primer
- MAC Face and Body Foundation in C5
- Diorskin Nude Concealer in 003 Sable/Sand
- YSL Touche Eclat in 4.5
- NARS Bronzer in Laguna from the Virtual Domination Cheek Palette — contour
- NARS Blush in Deep Throat mixed with Sex Fantasy from the Virtual Domination Cheek Palette — blush
- NARS Higlighting Blush in Miss Liberty — highlight
- NARS Satin Lip Pencil in Yu from the Digitial World set
Ah… Much better. 🙂
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,
P.S. From the title, C.P. Yu. Get it? CPU? Hehe… That’s my dumb sense of humor right there.