Forget flash-in-the-pan and fly-by-night colors that disappear faster than you can say, “I’m going to need years of therapy to recover from that Miley Cyrus performance.” The new Retro Matte and Pro Longwear collections are built to last with long-wearing lipsticks, lip liners, cream shadows and pencils ready and waiting to go the distance this fall.
The MAC Retro Matte Collection
Down-and-dirty deets on the new MAC Retro Matte Lipsticks, Pro Longwear Paint Pots and Eye Liners
- Permanent or limited edition: Limited edition
- Availability: Next week! They’ll be online starting the week of September 3, in North American MAC stores/counters September 12, and available some time in September at all international MAC locations.
- Inspiration: Actually? Ruby Woo Lipstick’s matte texture and finish. MAC decided to increase the number of shades available in Ruby Woo’s ultra-flat matte finish.
- Includes: eight matte Lipsticks ($15 US, $18 CDN each) and eight Pro Longwear Lip Pencils ($19.50 US, $23 CDN each)
As someone who experienced the ’90s firsthand and owned several MAC mattes over that time, I have mixed feelings about this encore of matte lips…
To their credit, they last a looong time, which I like. They barely break a sweat after six hours, even through meals, but dayum! — what’s with all the flakes?!
At least these new MAC Lipsticks don’t seem as drying as the old-school versions, based on the couple I wore today, but they definitely aren’t heavy with hydration. I probably won’t be wearing them daily, no matter what, because matte formulas like these usually leave my lips drier than the Sahara.
I gotta admit, though, that flat finish looks really cool…
Can. Not. Wait. to wear the bright pinks and reds with cat eyes this fall.
MAC Pro Longwear Paint Pots and Pro Longwear Eye Liners
- Permanent or limited edition: Permanent
- Availability: Available now online, and coming to North American stores and counters September 5; internationally some time next month.
- Inspiration: Vibrant colors and long-wearing cream shadows and liners.
- Includes: 12 Pro Longwear Paint Pots ($20 US, $24 CDN each) and four water-resistant Pro Longwear Eye Liners ($19.50 US, $23 CDN each). There’s also a 242 Shader Brush ($25 US, $30 CDN)
Oh, boy! I’m stoked about the liners and Perky Paint Pot, in particular. Remember it from 2008′s Fafi? Yeah, good times… (Wow, can you believe we’ve been together that long? HOLY CANNOLI!)
The MAC Retro Matte Lipsticks…
The Retro Matte Pro Longwear Lip Pencils…
The Pro Longwear Paint Pots…
The Pro Longwear Eye Liners…
Swatches (for reference, I’m an NC42)
What do ya say? Got your sights set on anything here?
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,