How do you feel about shiny baubles? Personally, I’m a fan (especially costume stuff).
Guerlain feels pretty good about ’em, too, and their new coppery Cuivre (which means “copper” in French) Ora Loose Powder Eye Shadow works like a shiny bauble in some visually arresting ways.
Shiny like a copper keepsake — and intense! — it jazzes up whatever else you’ve got going on, in my case, a simple black eye liner, bronzer and a gloss in peachy gold.
Part of the new 10-piece Terra Ora summer makeup collection, Cuivre quivers on counters next month.
Guerlain’s got serious game when it comes to bronzers and bronzing makeup, so it makes sense that they’d release something like Cuivre.
I really how it looks with a tan and just the overall liquid metal effect. I think it’s also more intense when I press or glide it directly on my lids with the sponge-tip applicator instead of a separate brush.
Blink, and you see a flash of shimmer, which looks super cool, like sunlight on a polished piece of gold, and you don’t need multiple layers, either. Nope, it’s that pigmented and intense.
When I want to tone it down, I just take a fluffy domed brush like the MAC 217, swipe it against the sponge tip, and buff that on my lids.
Bit of a softer, subtler effect, but with the same shiny finish.
Since Cuivre is as shiny and pigmented as it is, I’ll probably keep the rest of my makeup on the quieter side, but if you aren’t afraid to take risks and feel more comfortable when you’re turning heads, you could try something like a bright teal or a green along your lower lash lines, and maybe a bright coral on your lips.
The Gueralin Terra Ora Summer 2013 collection includes…
- Terra Ora: a pearly white gold and matte beige to highlight and sculpt the face and decollete ($72, limited edition)
- Meteorities Perles Les Ors Primer: a sheer illuminating gel primer that adds radiance with three different shades of gold ($71, limited edition)
- Khol Me Kajal: a black liner that doubles as an eyeshadow ($37, re-promoted from the permanent line)
- Loose Powder Eye Shadows in Cuivre Ora and Bronze Ora: two loose, iridescent shadows with a metallic finish, available in copper Cuivre Ora and bronze Bronze Ora ($35 each, limited edition)
- Terra Nerolia: an oversized face and body bronzer in shimmery peach, bronze and gold shades ($69, limited edition)
- Shine Automatique in Corail Ora and Bianca Ora: a warm coral lipstick and a semi-transparent white gold lipstick, each with a luminous finish ($35 each, limited edition)
- Lingerie de Peau BB Cream, SPF 30: a color-correcting, hydrating primer with a lightweight formula ($51, repromoted from the permanent line)
- Terra Ora Kabuki Brush: a dense brush designed for the Guerlain bronzing powders ($55, limited edition)
That would almost like runway makeup! Put your hair up in a ponytail or bun, and keep the rest of your accessories and clothes simple.
The price might sound high for just 0.02 ounces, but I don’t think you’ll have to use a lot. Plus, I haven’t had any issues with creasing or fallout, and it lasts all day long.
Best for: Bronzed babes who love shiny, metallic eyes.
PRICE: $35 for a 0.02-ounce tube with a sponge-tip applicator (seems like a lot for such a tiny amount, but you hardly need any at all)
AVAILABILITY: Coming May to Guerlain counters and online
MAKEUP AND BEAUTY BLOG RATING: A
Since we’re on the subject…
Question for you: have you ever gone through a phase where you only wanted to wear one kind of metal, like when I was in my 20s, I was all about silver baubles, but now I’m starting to also look at gold.
Lately, especially rose gold. I guess I never realized how much I’d like the way the pink in it looks on brown skin.
I still love silver, though, and sometimes I’ll even mix it with something gold. Together, I think they’re modern and chic!
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,