Good morning, gorgeous! The birthday lasagna is in the oven, and I’m about to pick up Connor’s cake for her birthday party. (I’ll post a picture. It’s a three-layer lemon cake with pink ombre rosettes going up the sides!) As usual, I’m running around at the last minute, so I’m going to keep my makeup simple. Maybe something with the MAC Padma Lakshmi collection.
Before I go do some quick tornado blending (you gotta do what you gotta do!), here are some stories that caught my bronzed eye this week.
- Wow, it looks like this is finally gonna happen. Cosmetics and personal-care products are about to come under federal regulatory scrutiny after 80 years. There’s a tentative agreement on a proposal that would require companies to register with the FDA (right now companies don’t even have to register at all) and require the FDA to evaluate a number of ingredients for safety.
Currently, the FDA doesn’t require manufacturers of products like shampoo, deodorant, lipstick or eye makeup to report safety problems. That’s right! Any ol’ Joe Shmoe could add shoe polish or bird poop to your eyeshadow, and it would be totally “legal.”
- Lipstick in powder form is a thing, and all I have to say is, who thought this would be a good idea…? Between the cat, and the kid, and my inherent clumsiness, this is a disaster waiting to happen.
Whelp, my drugstore beauty wish list just got longer because of this list by the Wirecutter.
Do you think this is a weird leap?
I think it’s kind of crazy…because what do 👠 shoes have to do with 💄 lipstick, really? But I’m a shoe enthusiast (to put it mildly), so I’m down.
- OK, so this article reads like a Charlotte Tilbury infomercial toward the end, but I got sucked in when Charlotte spilled the beans on what it’s like for her to do celebrity makeup for the Oscars.
- Favorite pics of the week: these images of the Dukha people of Mongolia. They’re a nomadic tribe that has lived in the same region for centuries, and they have a special relationship with the area’s wild animals, including reindeer.
The pics of the children napping with reindeer melt my 💖 heart.
- There’s something very Hannibal Lecter about these portraits by photographer Evija Laivina of women wearing Amazon’s weirdest beauty devices, but oh, my goodness, I can’t look away…
Do these contraptions actually do anything for anyone? They look like horror movie props!
Before I go to bed, I use hand cream and lip balm…but what starlings do before they go to sleep is much more interesting!
Aw, man, this makes me want to feed Michael B. Jordan brownies and ask him how his day went. 😊
My favorite song from the Black Panther soundtrack
I am this man. This man is me.
Have a great day! Happy birthday 🎂🎉🎈 to all the pisces babies out there.
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,