I’m getting so much mileage from the Barbie Loves MAC Seminar I went to a few weeks ago. I finally rifled through the technique folder they gave us and found some cool tips and tricks pages. Here are the best tips from the page for brushes:
Tips and Tricks: Brushes
When choosing brushes consider the following…
- Firmer fibers tend to deliver a faster application than softer fibers.
- Softer fibers tend to offer greater control of color application.
- Try applying skincare with brushes for a luxurious experience.
- The 190 brush works well for applying masks and moisturizers.
- The 194 brush words well with eye cream.
- The 180 brush works well to lather shave cream on the face or body.
- When dipping brushes into pressed powder products, like eye shadows, do not mash the brush into the pan. This causes breakage of the fibers. It’s better for the brush and more effective to either swipe from side to side or run the brush around in a circle to gather powder.
- Try using two brushes for some of those tricky applications, like smokey eyes. Use one brush to pick up and apply the color and the other brush to blend.
- When applying makeup, try holding the brush further away from the hair bundle, almost like holding chopsticks. This allows for greater control in application. Not to mention, with the hands out of the way, greater visibility!
- Brushes for personal use should be cleaned about once a week. For emollient-based product on the brush use cleanse off oil to emulsify and then brush cleanser to clean and condition.
- If after makeup application you find it necessary to throw your brushes in the bag before cleaning, be sure to store the brushes you used for liquid or cream products separately from the ones used for powder products, to avoid the cream dirtying the other brushes. And if using the same bag for both, try wrapping the brushes for cream products in plastic wrap or a tissue before tossing them in the bag. 🙂
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,