What up, queen bee? Haaay! What’s the buzz on The Body Shop’s new Honey Bronze Highlighting Domes? Are they sweet?
Honey, I’ll tell ya.
LOL! OK, that’s enough with the bee puns. 🙂 I’ll stop.
Uh…what they heck are these things?
- These three $16 shimmery cream highlighters are new from The Body Shop as part of the Honey Bronze summer collection. I’m not sure if they’re limited or permanent edition, but I’ve got my honey bee feelers out… My beauty antennae. I should know soon.
- Of the three shades, 01 is a shimmering champagne (good one for pale princesses), 02 is a shimmery peachy pink with golden glitter (good for all skin tones), and 03 is a warm, shimmery golden bronze (probably the best one for darker divas).
- They all have a very light honey fragrance, which I can’t really even smell unless I get my nose up in there…and yes, if you do this, you may end up accidentally highlighting the tip of your nose, LOL!
- Silky… They feel like a thinner, slightly wetter NARS Multiple to me.
- They’re available now online and at The Body Shop.
How do they work? Are they complicated or easy to use?
- Just twist off one of the caps, apply the highlighter directly to your cheeks and/or face, and blend with fingers.
- But they’re very sheer! And glittery! There’s mostly shimmer and hardly any color there, but I think that’s kind of the point. These are minimalist makeup morsels for summertime, with the idea being bronzed skin with sheer color on the cheeks and high points of the face. So these are not all about the color.
- For more intensity, you can build them up in layers…but you’ll need A LOT. To really see these colors on my NC 42 skin, I have to build up 4-6 layers (!), and not everyone is going to have the patience for that (myself included).
- The glitter? Have I mentioned there’s a lot? — because there’s a lot. The sparkly flecks are small (thank goodness), which is nice, but dang if they don’t do high kicks all over my pores, meaning that I can see ’em, and they make my pores look larger than they are, grrr…
- These also don’t last as long as I’d like — at least on my combination dry/oily/generally fussy cheeks. I end up having to reapply every couple of hours.
- Oh, and there isn’t a twist-a-ma-bob or pushup doohickey in the packaging, so what you see is what you get in each of the domes.
So, are these the bee’s knees or what?
I like the honey fragrance and how easy these are to apply and blend, but I just don’t see myself working these into my everyday rotation. I might use them from time to time, though… Having to touchup so frequently makes them a tad too high-maintenance for me. I appreciate delicate/nuanced/sheer makeup, but there are other products out there that kinda do this same thing, and kinda do it better (like the NARS Multiples).
With that said, I don’t think these are bad at all, especially if you…
- Are looking for a highlighter with barely any pigment whatsoever
- Hella love glitter
- Wouldn’t mind toting one of these around for frequent touchups
If you’re cool with all of the above, you’d probably be sweet on these cream highlighters.
PRICE: $16 each, available now in three shades
AVAILABILITY: Available now online and at The Body Shop
MAKEUP AND BEAUTY BLOG RATING: Bee- (Get it…? LOL! I couldn’t resist.)
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,