You know what I just realized? I just realized that I can tie different eras from my teens and 20s to Aaliyah’s music. Like, Jen, Cindy and I played Back and Forth so much in the summer before I left for college, and then in the spring of my senior year at Davis, Are You That Somebody was almost constantly on the radio whenever Eleanor, Mary Anne, Christine and I drove anywhere (In-N-Out after class, to the city late at night to go clubbing, house parties, the library, to go rollerblading all over town, to the gym).
And then around the time El Hub and I met, Rock the Boat was THE JAM.
Aaliyah’s legacy lives on through her music, and her fans lobbied hard for a MAC collection.
I wore my first look with it today (I plan to do at least one more with a lip), and here are pics, swatches (NC42) and some thoughts (in the video). First impression: holy shimmer!
Mini reviews of a few pieces from the @maccosmetics Aaliyah collection (swipe to see the second vid): Age Ain’t Nothing Eye Shadow X 9, Baby Girl Bronzer and Li Li’s Motor City Lipglass. Coming to maccosmetics.com June 20 and to select counters June 21. #maccosmetics #aaliyahformac #makeupreview #igmakeup #instamakeup
The MAC Aaliyah Collection
Coming June 20th to the MAC website and June 21st to select stores
LIPSTICK ($17.50 each)
- Try Again: soft muted beige (matte)
- Hot Like…: creamy fire-red (amplified)
- More Than a Woman: cool deep red (amplified)
- Street Thing: pure black with shimmer (frost)
LIPGLASS ($17 each)
- Brooklyn Born: sheer nude with pearl
- Li Li’s Motor City: coral with shimmer
- At Your Best You Are…: warm berry
- 1 In a Million: deep rich purple
LIP PENCIL ($17.50 each)
- Nevermore: pure black
- Follow Your Heart: intense violet purple
AGE AIN’T NOTHING/EYE SHADOW X 9 ($32)
- Creative Copper: metallic gold (lustre)
- That Somebody: gold brown with gold shimmer (satin)
- Princess of Soul: muted golden brown (matte)
- Gingersnap: muted pinky coral (frost)
- Deception: cool medium brown (frost)
- Dance in the Dark: deep cool brown (matte)
- Lovesmoke: sterling silver (veluxe pearl)
- Magic Moor: mauve plum with subtle shimmer (veluxe pearl)
- Care 4 You: black with silver sparkle (lustre)
BRONZING POWDER ($27)
- Baby Girl: pure golden with soft pearl
No frosty beige lipstick? I’m surprised. There is a dark lip liner, and I would have worn that in the late ’90s, but I wouldn’t have worn it with the matte beige they included in the collection… I would have done it with a frosty beige or a frosty pale purple. ?
See anything you like?
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,