If the day ever comes when an inquisitive young child asks me about the meaning behind Prince’s song, Cream, I’m going to tell her it’s about cream makeup. Cream blush, cream eyeshadow and cream foundation.
Prince loved wearing makeup, so why wouldn’t he write a song about cream products? 😁
And should I ever be moved to compose a catchy tune about creams (because I’d have to write a love song about cream, obvs!), I would have to dedicate a verse to how cream eyeshadow and blush look on skin — like you’re wearing makeup, but not the heavy, powdery obvious kind. (The second verse would be dedicated to blending with your fingers, and the chorus would be all about how much creams love dry skin.)
Anyway, that’s my plan and I’m stickin’ to it.
A few items of note about this particular no-makeup makeup look…
- Here’s a way to add more dimension with your cream blush. I’m wearing two blushes on my cheeks — a sheer layer of orange all over my cheeks, with a pop of pink on the apples — to create a gradient. I diffused the edges of the pink into the orange by laying the flat side of a foundation brush against my skin and using short strokes. Try this technique sometime using two of your favorite cream blushes (one lighter, one darker) for natural-looking blush with dimension.
- The MAC Pro Face Palettes rock. For a low-key look, I’m wearing sheer layers of the Bright Blush Palette on my cheeks and the Contour Palette on my lids (worn as eyeshadow and layered on top of a light wash of MAC Teddy). And if you want more dramatic glam, you can still easily get there by layering the creams for amplified pigment. SO flexible and blend beautifully, too. If you’re a fan of the MAC Cream Colour Bases, you’ll love these.
- About that glossy lip. It’s a tinted lip oil — Hourglass Cameo — and it’s a gorgeous warm rose (but it’s redonk expensive at $49!). It’s next level when it comes to moisturizing dry lips, which is mainly why I wear it (mine have been annoyingly dry lately), but I also adore its “your lips but better” effect.
- Base: MAC Studio Fix Soft Matte Foundation Stick in NC42, Estée Lauder 24HR Concealer in Medium Deep Warm
- Eyes: MAC Teddy (on upper and lower waterlines, and buffed on lids as a base), MAC Contour Pro Face Palette (Rolling Stone and Dark Honey as eyeshadows), Laura Mercier Caviar Mascara
- Lips: Hourglass Cameo Lip Oil
- Cheeks: MAC Bright Blush Palette (Juicy Tangelo and Pink Tulip cheeks), MAC Hush (upper cheekbones)
Makeup worn in this look:
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,
P.S. Happy Good Friday, and TGIF! 💜