Look Book! This is the first in a new series of makeup look posts I’ll be doing that will be kind of like faces of the day, which are like, “Here, look at my makeup,” except not. They’ll be open spaces to try different makeup looks, because I’ve been in a rut for the past two years, and I want to get out of it. Sometimes I’ll get into technique. Sometimes there will be quick commentary on the products. Fun things like that.
I totally went into this look thinking I’d do something outside my comfort zone, and I even gave myself one of those pre-game pep talks, like “Karen, you’re going to push yourself! You’re going to do something cray!” — but I still ended up totally staying in my lane with these smoky taupe lids and glossy nude lips.
LE. SIGH. I don’t even know why I fight it… I end up doing these subtle smoky looks like 99% of the time, all the time now. It’s my wheelhouse, man!
For this look, I used a few of the kits from the new MAC Snow Ball holiday collection, along with some products from the MAC permanent line. Everything I used is listed below, and if you have any questions about the look, or the kits, or anything at all, just ask. Let me know in the comments. I’m here for ya!
Some quick notes…
This year’s MAC holiday LE brushes are pretty darned good
I did this entire look from start to finish using only the LE holiday brushes from Snow Ball, and what a nice surprise! I haven’t always had the best luck with MAC’s holiday brushes. Like, “Proceed with caution!” because although they seem like a good deal, they’ve often been hella scratchy (and don’t last long), but the eye and face brushes in this year’s kits are pretty soft and way better than years past.
Most of the brush heads are on the larger side, which I guess helps you apply lots of color quickly, but as I use them, I find myself wishing that the heads were smaller and more precise because of my semi-hooded eye situation (I like smaller eye brushes). These holiday brushes like to scoot color further out than I usually want it to go.
(There’s a work around for that, though. I pinch the bristles to make the brush head smaller.)
Overall, these brushes ain’t bad. In fact, I think they’re pretty good.
The products in the MAC Smoky Gold Eye Bag kit can totally hang with Satin Taupe
I was really excited about the two eyeshadows in the Smoky Gold Eye Bag — peachy nude Just Gleaming and silvery warm taupe Snowdusk — and about freaked when I realized that they look like MAC Satin Taupe, an old classic from the permanent line, when they’re mixed together. If you’re a fan of Satin Taupe, don’t miss this Eye Bag. Also, eagle-eyed MAC mavens may have noticed that the Technakohl Liner in this kit has the old-school packaging with the black pencil body.
We’ve got a soft brow gel situation in the MAC Snow Ball Mascara Kit
Just something to note in case you like soft clear brow gels. There’s one in the mascara kit. No crunch!
Makeup I’m wearing in this look
- MAC Snow Ball Eye Bag / Smoky Gold eyeshadows in Just Gleaming (inner lid) and Snowdusk (outer lid),
- Technakohl Liner in Photogravure (lash and water lines, and the outer third of the lid), In Extreme Dimension Lash Mascara (lashes)
- MAC Constructivist Paint Pot (base)
- MAC Nose Pose/Cream Colour Base X 2 (brown shade in crease)
- Snow Ball Mini Lip Kit / Nude Cremesheen Glasses in Below Freezing and Winter Warmer (mixed together for the nude lip) and Iced Over Vamplify (for the frosty lip)
- Chantecaille Rose de Mai Face Oil (to moisturize and prep)
- Urban Decay Urban Defense Complexion Primer (cheeks, forehead, nose)
- MAC Studio Fix Fluid Foundation in NC42 mixed with MAC Strobe Cream in Pinklite (all over mah face)
- MAC Matchmaster Concealer in shades 4 and 6 (under eyes)
- Sephora Future Gel Serum Concealer in Pecan Pie (cheeks)
- MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in Medium Golden (on my forehead and nose)
That’s it! The MAC Snow Ball Kits are limited edition, BTW, and everything’s on counters and online now. If you have any questions, hit me up in the comments. I’m happy to help.
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,