I really freaking love doing skin.
Is that boring?
It might be, but it’s true. I think my greatest makeup/beauty passions right now are foundation and concealer, which I’ve gotten VERY passionate about, and it’s mostly gotten to this point over the past two years, because for the longest time, foundation was more like an afterthought for me. Just something I did after doing the real work on my eyes, cheeks and lips, a.k.a. the color.
Now I’m obsessed with finding ALL. THE. WAYS. to get perfect-looking skin that don’t involve using 300 pounds of makeup.
It’s challenging, dude!
Maybe it happened after I had Connor at 41, but I swear to gawd, that first year of mom life was like a dog year. It felt like seven years passing over the course of 12 months. I’m not kidding!
But yeah, I’m really, REALLY passionate about foundation now, and this realization occurred to me the other day after someone asked me what my favorite foundation is, and I couldn’t give a one-word answer. Clackin’ away at the keyboard, I kept thinking, “I could talk about this for weeks.”
I want to learn everything there is to know about foundation. Like, if I had unlimited resources ($), girl, you know what I’d do? I’d review every single foundation in the world just to be able to try them. Then I’d arrange for personal makeup lessons with Sir John, Charlotte Tilbury and Pat McGrath. I think that would be so much fun!
Or am I just crazy? Does anyone else think that would be awesome?
Stew on that for a second, and if you have a moment between sips of coffee that I hope is hot and delicious, here are some articles that sparked my interest this week. I hope you find something interesting. 🙂
- After seeing this sweet photo series of things that preschoolers stash in their pockets, I wish I could go back in time and see what I used to keep in mine.
- The designs and creative nail art at Nailympia, one of the most prestigious nail competitions in the world, are BANANAS. It’s regarded as one of the fairest nail competitions because of its strict impartial judging guidelines.
- Tim Gunn (who, in my mind, is my mentor/style godfather) calls out the fashion industry and asks for designers to produce clothes that work for all body shapes and sizes, and not just extremely tall, thin women.
- What 10 people wore to their interviews with Anna Wintour (P.S. I would probably wear high-waisted stretch pants)
- Ever wonder why beauty brands do gift-with-purchases, but nobody else really does? Here’s why.
- Affordable drugstore skin care brand Simple has new hydrating cleansers for super dry skin.
- The story of Patrick Ta is what happens when It Girls discover you on Instagram and blow up your makeup career.
- A dad built an OTT two-story playhouse for his kid in the backyard, and all I have to say is, “Can I move in already?” That thing looks like a mini-mansion!
- Revlon has a funky new hair dryer that looks like something from The Fifth Element.
- A definitive timeline of Donatella Versace’s beauty evolution
- Allegedly, this is the work bag professional women everywhere have been looking for.
- Get to know one of West Africa’s most daring designers, Amaka Osakwe.
The Fenty Beauty Holiday (via Sephora’s Instagram) looks BOSS.
Sam Fine is a legend in the makeup world.
I’m headed out! Going to the East Bay to visit my family and some friends I haven’t seen in a while. Have a great rest of your day and a wonderful weekend. 🙂 Talk to you soon.
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,