In addition to some of the requisite “adulting” things I have to do on Saturday mornings, like starting the laundry, watering the plants, getting breakfast started, administering lurvies to my feline overlord, etc., sometimes I actually get to sneak in some actual fun.
Like today, I played around a little with a new eye makeup trick I’ve been loving lately.
And, yes, I realize that I change favorites sometimes multiples times per day (haha), but as of meow it’s my new favorite eye makeup trick in the whole wide world!
I was inspired by this Instagram video from Alev Karsli, a MAC artist from Istanbul (not Constantinople), Turkey. She does a subdued bronzed glam look on a model that I don’t look anything like at all, but I REALLY liked the technique she used.
The MAC Paint Pots are dense cream shadows, and the oil thins them out a little, making them creamier and easier to blend. Plus, the oil adds a subtle glossy finish that just looks gloriously natural.
What a great idea! I wish I’d thought of it.
And the fun doesn’t stop there. You can then layer something like sparkly golden champagne MAC Honey Lust shadow (permanent line) on top of Groundwork.
After I hop off the computer, I think I’m gonna smoke this out a little more, because you know the old saying, “French toast tastes better when you’re wearing a smokey eye.”
Wait — what? That’s not a saying…? Well, it should be, don’t you agree? 🙂
In other news, here’s some beauty news that caught my (smokey eye) this week…
- Although I haven’t bought anything from Athleta in a minute because I’m currently saving $$$ to send Connor Claire to MIT (hey, I can dream… Mars or bust!), I’ve always liked that they cater to women of all ages.
- Makeup lovers are worried that the upcoming iPhone X facial recognition won’t recognize them without their makeup.
While we’re considering the complex techno-social ramifications of this extremely crucial detail…what if you have an identical twin?? Will he or she be able to unlock your phone? Or could one use makeup prosthetics to impersonate someone else and unlock their phone? Also, you just know that someone out there is going to dress up like Stephen King’s It and use that clown’s face for their facial recognition.
- Do you compulsively bite your nails, twirl your hair or pick at your skin? There’s a growing realization out there that so-called repetitive, nonfunctional motor behaviors, and the degree to which you engage in them, can reflect your peace of mind.
- Why having a BFF is good for your health
- Has backstage beauty lost its luster?
- Who’s down for a trip to Japan!? We could go sightseeing, eat ALL THE SUSHI, then go window shopping at some of the hidden, indie boutiques. 🙂
- “Glass skin” is now a thing in k-beauty circles.
- I can’t believe I’ve had so many of these drinks but never paused to wonder what, exactly, the “essence” is in the La Croix fizzy waters. Nobody frickin’ knows!
- I think the beauty industry was surprised by how quickly Rihanna’s Fenty Beauty dark shades sold out.
- For the design enthusiasts: Art-deco glam is replacing Scandinavian cool in L.A., and I’m ALL FOR IT.
What it all boils down to: it’s all about grit. Angela Lee Duckworth, a teacher turned psychologist, reveals what factor determines whether a student will succeed or fail.
I heard this Frank Ocean during the season finale of one of my favorite HBO shows, Insecure, and I’ve been listening to it first thing in the morning for the last few days. I love it.
I’ve watched and re-watched this video more times than I can count, but it keeps cracking me up! The part when Elmo goes SO hard that his eyes almost fall off? OMG!
Have a superb Saturday and a wonderful weekend, friend. See you soon. 🙂
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,