I’ve got a very exciting block of time etched out today to clean the bucket of dirty brushes that have been sitting on my shelf haunting me.
I know! Bad makeup lover. BAD! I’ve been putting it off for soooooo long though. I just need to park my butt in my bathroom with some Dr. Bronner’s soap, crank up the music, and get it done (thanks, Tennyoceres, for the reminder about using baby wipes to do quick cleans, which I’ve been doing for about two weeks now?). I know that once those brushes are all clean and organized, the stars will align, and everything in my life will fall back into place again…
Or not. But whatever. It’s a place to start, right? And sometimes it’s the simple, frivolous things that help keep us going.
Speaking of washing things, our washer broke earlier this week. Yeah, it started making this really terrible noise, like a giant was having a disco party rave in there. You may or may not know this about kids, but they are filthy beasts, and Connor has been going through this phase where she’s really curious about what’s in her diaper.
I don’t need to get into it, but all I have to say is that I’ve touched poo many times lately.
We ended up getting a new machine yesterday because it was going to cost almost as much to get the old one fixed, but now I’m back in the laundry business! So minor huzzah! Yay! 🙂
Other than catching up on laundry, I also want to spend some time today with a new foundation by Sahi Cosmetics.
Just look at that packaging…
They look like perfume bottles, don’t they? If I saw this sitting on someone’s bathroom counter I would totally think it was a Victoria’s Secret perfume. And I’d try to smell it, haha. Because, yes, I’m that nosy person who smells your fragrances when I use your lavatory. GUILTY AS CHARGED. 🙂
Sahi caters to people with medium skin tones, kinda like Stellar, a brand that launched earlier this year.
I’ve also got a date with MAC Bronze shadow, which I used to wear all the time but sort of forgot about for a while. It’s a beautiful shimmery golden bronze in the permanent collection, and I rediscovered it recently.
If you don’t have it already, Bronze is quite warm. I used to pair it with Powersurge on my lash lines all the time. I don’t think I ever tried it with Costa Riche, though, so I might do that today after a little reading (because reading is fundamental).
On that note, here are some beauty articles that caught my eye this week…
- I never knew Sally Hansen — as in Sally Hansen from THE nail product line — was, ya know, a real person. She ran a booming beauty business in Hollywood, served as the first female chair of the California Cosmetics Association, and married eight times (!).
- 7 terrifying beauty practices from history
- How Nura Afia went from watching YouTube makeup videos while caring for her daughter to becoming CoverGirl’s first Muslim-America brand ambassador
- Japanese brand Muji, known for their organizational products, also has a skin care line. Who knew? Apparently, it’s pretty good, too, and has a vibrant cult following.
- The 411 on Jordan Samuel Skin Care.
- Drybar founder Alli Webb on growing a big beauty business
- What’s the story behind the phrase, “eyebrow on fleek”?
- Guerlain visits the Land o’ Liquid Matte Lipsticks.
- Now it seems like everyone in the foundation biz is trying to catch up with Fenty Beauty.
- Claudia Schiffer has a makeup line!
- Sooo, apparently, whole-body cryotherapy is a thing.
Question for you: what’s the longest you’ve gone without cleaning your makeup brushes? C’mon, give it to me. I can take it! It’s been about 10 weeks for me, not kidding, and that’s the longest I’ve gone in years.
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,