Here’s your unsolicited floral fun fact of the day:
Bird of paradise are deer resistant and can withstand temps below freezing.
Seriously, who knew? I didn’t.
I’m going to file this under “The Things You Find When You’re Cruising the Neighborhood for Plant Ideas.”
And because “makeup” is always processing somewhere in the background of my brain, I’m wondering how I’d incorporate bird of paradise colors into a makeup look…
Maybe a bright coral lip with colorful, crisp orange liner on the upper lash line? Ooh! — then I’d add a blue cat eye flick at the outer corner with the tiniest sliver of green along the outer edge. 😁
What would you do? While you ponder that, here are some things that caught my eye this week…
BRB. Gonna make some breakfast.
- Crayola is coming out with “Colors of the World,” an awesome box of crayons in colors reflecting skin tones from around the globe. 🖍️ I’m a mix of “Medium Almond” and “Medium Golden.” How about you?
- THIS IS INCREDIBLE! —–> Rebecca Sharrock has a rare condition that allows her to remember every moment of her life. Her first memory: “I remember being in a dark place, with a reddish light and I had my head between my legs, so I’m assuming that’s when I was in the womb but I didn’t know my age at the time. That’s the earliest I can go back, as my memories are always in chronological order.”
- Can COVID-19 “live” on makeup? Here’s what experts say about beauty best practices during the pandemic.
- Favorite read of the week: Lyndsay Tucker, a Sephora beauty consultant in the Bay Area, has Elon Musk’s old cell phone number, and she receives countless calls and texts meant for him. Unsurprisingly, some are pretty weird. “One woman volunteered to go to space with SpaceX, and another person sent a blueprint for a bionic limb. “Which is, No. 1, really cool,” Tucker says. “But I have no idea how it’s built.
- In case you ever wondered what Jackie O.’s exact skin care routine looked like! (Here’s a hint: it involves her dermatologist saying that she should hang out in the sun without a hat.)
- What drugstore brand e.l.f. is doing to stay ahead in the beauty game. By the way, if you haven’t tried it yet, their solid sponge cleanser brush soap is EXCELLENT for brushes.
- Fun fact: in the three-year pursuit to create mascara for her makeup line, Gucci Westman tested 45 different mascara wands.
- Meet Rodrigo Flores-Roux, the man behind Clinique Happy, one of the most iconic scents of the ’90s.
- Nail techs are putting their lives on the line to do nails.
- I’m a little obsessed with the product descriptions for the scents from Imaginary Authors, this small indie perfume line based in Oregon. My favorite is Falling Into the Sea:
“At the age of nineteen Nica Galas published her first book, the autobiographical tome Falling into the Sea which chronicled her short and torrid love affair among the hot beaches and lemon trees in the Gulf of Naples. The breathtaking story opens with Nica and her girlfriends picking bunches of jasmine flower for boys while they cliff-jumped into the sea. An innocent first kiss erupts into an ardent summer entanglement which is cut short one moonlit night when her lover leaps into the dark abyss never to surface, leaving Nica naked on the cliffs screaming his name. This scent is sunshine in a bottle. Wear on cloudy days to invoke the ardor of summer.”
Belly chains? Check. Low-rise jeans? Yup. Crocheted blankets as shirt? Yes, girl, that too. I’m horrified to report that I wore
almost allmore than a few of these outdated fashion trends from back in the day.
- This gal’s sweet hubby sits outside of the window of her hospital room at a table decorated with flowers and candles so they can have date nights.
- Peter Dinklage and Jason Momoa are teaming up for a vampire-themed buddy comedy, and I’m all for it.
I did this earlier in the week, and it’s super fun.
What happens when worlds collide
I’m happy to report that ’90s singer Jon B is 1) alive and 2) thriving during the pandemic. Fast forward to 7:52 to listen to “Don’t Talk,” a.k.a. my club jam from way back when.
I now know how to change a tire! I love this guy. He grew up without a dad, and now he makes how-to videos with practical “dad” advice.
I need this; you need this; we all need this in our lives right now.
Have a nice rest of your Saturday, and yes, it’s SATURDAY! No worries if you had no idea what day of the week it was until just now, friend. It’s happened to me more than a few times since March.
WAY more than a few times. Happy Memorial Day weekend. 😊
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,