Question: What girl puts on makeup just to clean her office?
Answer: THIS GIRL. 🙂
I figure what the haaaay! A little eyeshadow will make the act of purging old Post-It notes, product packaging and stacks of magazines that much more “professional.”
At least that’s the idea.
Fast-forward to right meow…
I didn’t want to spend forever and a day putting on mah face this morning, so I gave myself 10 minutes, and here’s what I came up with.
Because it’s a little more colorful than yesterday’s 10-minute makeup, I think it has a little more oomph.
I used cool-toned matte browns on my lids to softly define the eyes, along with a highlight in the inner corners to brighten things up a bit, and a bold fuchsia lip for a flash of extra color.
I think this look would be totally appropriate for most work environments, and you can seriously bang it out in 10 minutes.
Here are a few things I did to save time…
Simplify the primer situation — This won’t apply to you if you already skip primer, but if you’re a fellow primer addict/practitioner (seriously, I use four for most of my makeup looks), try to simplify (just a little!) by limiting yourself to one. For this look, I only used Make Up For Ever’s Nourishing Primer, which I applied all over my face, on my lids and under my eyes.
Then I concealed my under-eye circles with concealer (Maybelline Fit Me Concealer), and since I was already in the area, I took that up to my lids, adding a layer, which I then set with powder. That way I was able to skip my usual routine of NARS Pro Prime.
Same goes for brows (simplify, that is) — Instead of my usual brow rigamarole, which has lately involved filling and setting my brows with Anastasia’s Pencil and then setting them with Anastasia’s Clear Brow Gel, I used just one brow product, Bobbi Brown’s Natural Brow Shaper, because it does a little of everything.
Pick a palette (or two!) — For speed makeup, I like having a face palette that contains a blush, a bronzer and a highlighter, and 2) an eye palette stocked with flexible neutral mattes. That way I have everything I need for a basic everyday look in one place, and I don’t have to rummage through different containers and whatnot.
Try a timer — Do you have an egg timer or a watch? I use the little timer thingy in the Clock app on my iPhone. Today I set it for 10 minutes and placed it right in front of me on my desk where I could watch it counting down…
Don’t obsess about blending — I’m a weirdo perfectionist, and I can easily get carried away with blending, but for time-sensitive makeup looks, I have to let it go… Seriously, it’s OK if it looks a little messy. I think the key is picking two shades — like a light brown, and also a slightly darker brown — that aren’t too far from your natural skin tone. That way you won’t have to do a ton of heavy lifting.
Also, if the bright pink lip is a bit too bold for you, you could swap it out with a neutral lipstick. Here’s the same cheeks/eyes with a soft rosy pink matte (Tom Ford’s Pussycat) in place of the fuchsia…
Makeup I’m wearing in this look…
- Make Up For Ever Nourishing Primer — primer (I like this for days when my skin is drier than usual and needs extra TLC. It blurs pore beautifully.)
- MAC Prep + Prime BB Beauty Balm SPF 35 — tinted moisturizer (I used my fingers to save time)
- Maybelline Fit Me Concealer in 25 Medium — under-eyes as concealer, and also on my lids as an eyeshadow primer
- MAC Mineralize Skin Finish in Medium Tan — powder (I dusted all over my face, including my lids, where I used the powder to set my concealer and give it more staying power)
- It Cosmetics Live, Love, Laugh Vitality Face Disk — blush and bronzer mixed together and applied to the apples of my cheeks; highlighter dusted in the inner corners and along my brow bone; bronzer applied around the edges of the face
- Laura Mercier Kohl Eye Pencil in Stormy Grey — upper water and lash lines
- Urban Decay Naked2 Basics — Stark applied in the crease and Cover on the lids
- Bobbi Brown Natural Brow Shaper in Brunette — brows
- Buxom Lash Mascara in Blackest Black — lashes
- Clinique Pop Lip Colour + Primer in 10 Punch Pop — lips
- Tom Ford Lip Color Matte in Pussycat — lips (as a more neutral alternative)
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,