G’morning, ladies. Last night on my evening run I got to thinking about things I just can’t get enough of, like…
…friends who *really* listen, good sports bras, well-written books, and, well, mascara. 🙂
Mascara may have been on my mind because earlier yesterday I received this email from Lindsay:
Maybe you’ve done this at some point, but I was wondering if you could do a post about your favorite mascaras. I have really oily eyelids so I have a hard time finding mascaras that stay put.
I don’t want to just go in blind and end up losing $20 on a tube I’ll never use. That happens too often than I care to mention! …Though my friends seem to love it because they get all the barely-used hand-me-downs for free. Maybe I should find some new friends? Help! (With the mascara dilemma, not the friends.)
Here are some of my favorite mascaras. I’m partial to ones able to handle hot days, workouts and oily eyelids without melting away, and many of them are classified as either waterproof or water-resistant.
I go through mascara phases, sometimes preferring waterproof varieties (my current phase), sometimes tinted, and sometimes I just want uber-dramatic, long and full!
- Make Up For Ever Smoky Lash Mascara ($22) — “Most thickening mascaras will clump into little mascara globules, but not Smoky Lash. It applies smoothly, even after multiple layers, almost like it’s seducing my lashes. It’s the James Bond of mascaras â€” smooth but deadly hot.”
- Tarte Lash Hugger ($18) — “Lash Hugger may not pump up the volume, but I think it’s still a good performer â€” and really excellent when you consider its eco-friendly nature. It delivers longer lashes, won’t clump and keeps a curl for hours. If you’re looking for an environmentally responsible mascara, look for its purty purple tube on your next trip to Sephora.”
- Elizabeth Arden Ceramide ($20) — “A single coat of Ceramide mascara thickens my lashes without leaving them looking fake or unnatural, and two coats produces long, fat, defined, party-like-a-rockstar lashes.”
- Stila Lash Visor ($12.50) — “I wore one coat of Lash Visor to the gym last night, and after my sweaty struggle with the stair stepper, my lashes still held the curl and showed good thickness and length, with very little smudging, too.”
- Shu Uemura Precise Volume Mascara ($23) — “If you crave long, can’t-miss-me lashes like I do, get thee a tube of Shu Uemura’s Precise Volume Mascara ($23)! Using it lately I’ve achieved some of the longest, most defined lashes I’ve seen on myself in a while.”
- Tarte Bottoms Up Mascara ($14) — “It’s a water-resistant (not quite waterproof) black, and even though I’ve only been using it for a week, I’m already hooked. *I LOVE* how this mascara makes my eyes look bigger and more alert, like I’m actually awake, even when I’m dog tired.”
- Urban Decay Skyscarper Mascara ($22) — “I’ve been looking for a deep black mascara with a matte finish, and Skyscraper Multi-Benefit fits the bill. Three coats equal deep black, visibly enhanced lashes that still feel soft to the touch.”
Ladies, what’s your favorite mascara? Are you partial to basic black and waterproof, or do you yearn for something more? 🙂
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,