Ahh… Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas — done, done and done. We’re almost through another holiday season, babe, and from here on out, as Tabs loves to say, it’s all gravy.
Next up, New Year’s. Do you have any plans yet? More specifically, do you have any New Year’s makeup plans? 🙂
None yet for me. I mean, none that I know of, but El Hub might be planning something special behind the scenes, and I hope that he is (hint, hint!), because I’m in the mood to get gussied up.
I like taking my sweet time with my makeup on New Year’s Eve, just buffing and blending for hours. That’s my idea of a perfect start to a perfect New Year’s night, but sometimes, like when your demanding, diva kitty employer sends you on a last-minute Petco run for feather toys and catnip at 9 p.m. on Monday, December 31, things don’t always work out. You see, diva kitties can throw even the best laid beauty plans completely out the window.
Luckily for us, there are lots of ways to pull together a last-minute New Year’s Eve look when you don’t have all night to get ready.
Whether you’ll be chilling at home, watching the ball drop on TV, or braving the elements and the rowdy crowds with your crew, you can still look pretty and primped with these 5-minute, 10-minute and 15-minute New Year’s Eve looks.
A casual 5-minute makeup look
Plan to ring in the new year with a comfy, cozy group at home? Expect impromptu camera phone pics, and be ready for them with this easy, natural-looking 5-minute makeup look.
- For this look, I started by using my fingers to work a sheer tinted moisturizer, Olay Total Effects Tone Correcting CC Cream ($22.99), all over my face to even out my skin tone. Then, on the areas where I needed a bit more coverage, I dotted and blended concealer.
- Next, for a natural-looking matte finish, I dusted powder lightly on my oily areas to cut down on shine. Here, I used COVERGIRL + Olay Pressed powder in Medium ($11.99) on my forehead and nose.
- Then, for a healthy hint of a glow, I blended a pink blush (COVERGIRL Cheekers Blush in Golden Pink, $3.99), on the apples of my cheeks.
- To open up my eyes, I filled in my brows, curled my lashes and coated them with a tinted mascara. COVERGIRL LashBlast 24HR Mascara in Blue Black ($7.99) adds a little color without going over the top.
- To complete the look, I slicked a moisturizing, peachy pink lip balm on my lips.
A casual 10-minute makeup look
Got a few more minutes to get ready? If you have 10, then you can spend one or two on your skin, incorporate a little more color, and do a quick hairstyle to embrace 2013 in more polished, yet casual style.
- The winter winds strip every ounce of moisture from my skin and leave me with dry patches, so I started this look by prepping my face first with moisturizer, which also makes blending my foundation easier. One to try: Olay Age Defying Instant Hydration Day Cream ($12.99). It absorbs quickly and doesn’t feel like a heavy wool blanket on my face.
- A medium-coverage foundation like COVERGIRL + Olay Tone Rehab 2-in-1 Foundation Base ($16.99) helps even out my skin tone. I applied the Golden Tan shade all over my face with my fingers and, so that the finish didn’t look too “done,” gently blended everything together by going over it all with a skunk brush. Then, to set the foundation and bring down the shine, I dusted powder on my oily areas.
- To kick up the color content a little more, I applied a shimmery golden bronze eyeshadow on my lids (COVERGIRL Eye Enhancers in Golden Sunrise, $2.99), a nude blush (COVERGIRL Cheekers Blush in Soft Sable, $3.99) on my cheeks and a nude lipstick (COVERGIRL Outlast All Day Lipcolor in Forever Fawn, $8.49) on my lips.
- To finish the look, I filled in my brows, curled my lashes and added three coats of COVERGIRL LashBlast 24HR Mascara in Very Black ($7.99).
- With the couple extra minutes I had left, I ended with a quick hairstyle. I gathered my mop into a low ponytail, sprayed a small amount of hairspray (in this case, Pantene Pro-V Stylers Shaping Extra Hold Hairspray, $5.99) on my fingers, and then used them to guide my bangs and tame flyaway and stray hairs on the top and sides of my head.
A casual 15-minute makeup look
Got a few more minutes to play? If you do, you could start with the 10-minute look above, and incorporate a few extra touches in step 3 to take casual to the next level.
- To softly define my eyes, right after applying the golden bronze shadow in the previous look, I patted a dark brown shadow, COVERGIRL Eye Enchancers in Brown Smolder ($3.19), along my upper and lower lash lines.
- Then, to highlight my face and give it some glow, I swiped a shimmery, peachy pink blush (I like $3.99 COVERGIRL Cheekers Blush in Natural Shimmer) on my upper cheekbones, down the bridge of my nose and along my brow bones.
- And for even more color, I went with a brighter rose lip, COVERGIRL Outlast Lipcolor in Dusty Rose ($6.99).
A dressy 5-minute makeup look
Who says that getting ready for a big New Year’s Eve bash has to take two hours? Here’s a classic, soft look that only takes a few minutes.
- After applying foundation, concealer and powder to even out my skin tone, I patted a shimmery, neutral eyeshadow on my eyelids. Here, I mixed two shades, COVERGIRL Eye Enhancers in Minx and Tapestry Taupe ($2.99 each).
- Then, to give depth to my eyes, I applied a black gel liner to my upper water and lash lines in a cat eye shape.
- To finish the eyes, I applied a few coats of mascara (here I’m wearing COVERGIRL LashBlast 24HR Mascara in Black Gold, $7.99).
- Next, I blended a soft peach blush (like $3.99 COVERGIRL Cheekers Blush in Pretty Peach) on the apples of my cheeks.
- Finally, for one last pop of color, I applied something peachy and pink on my lips (COVERGIRL Outlast Lipcolor in My Papaya, $6.99).
A dressy 10-minute makeup look
Having a full 10 minutes means more time to play up my eyes and lips. This look builds on the previous look but adds purple and red flair.
- After doing steps one and two above, to better define my eyes, I took the same black gel liner that I used to line my upper lash and water lines, and used it to line my lower lash line.
- Next, I patted a thin line of $2.99 COVERGIRL Eye Enhancers in Purple Pop (or another purple shadow that you like) along my lower lash line.
- Then, I loaded a flat eyeshadow brush with the same shimmery neutral shadow I used on my lids, and ran the tip of the brush along the edges of the purple eyeshadow to soften the line.
- For this look, I kept the same peach blush I used in the 5-minute version, but because I had a little more time to spend on my lips, replaced the peachy pink lip color with a shimmery dark brick red, COVERGIRL Outlast Lipcolor in Eternal Flame ($8.49).
A dressy 15-minute makeup look
This look is basically the deluxe New Year’s Eve party version of the 10-minute look.
- After following the first two steps above, I dusted a shimmery light pink eyeshadow (COVERGIRL Eye Enchancers in Pink Chiffon $2.99) in the inner corners (the sides closest to my nose) to brighten my eyes.
- And then to open up my eyes even more, false lashes! 🙂
- Since I had some extra time for a quick hairstyle, I flat-ironed my bangs and a few layers around my face, and to keep my hair looking sleek all night long, I rubbed Herbal Essences Touchable Smooth Anti-Frizz CrÃ¨me ($4.29), an anti-frizz styling cream, on the ends.
And if your plans fall through…
…do like I’ve done more than a few times, and ring in the new year doing something you like.
Whether you stay in or go out, maybe some of these drugstore accoutrements can help you get ready…
- Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Deeeeep Conditioner ($3.99)
- Clairol Natural Instincts ($7.99)
- Head & Shoulders Damage Rescue Shampoo ($5.99)
- Head & Shoulders Damage Rescue Conditioner ($5.99)
- Head & Shoulders Green Apple Shampoo ($8.49)
- Head & Shoulders Green Apple Conditioner ($5.99)
- Herbal Essences Honey I’m Strong Shampoo ($5.99)
- Herbal Essences Honey I’m Strong Conditioner ($5.99)
- Herbal Essences Tousle Me Softly Mousse ($3.99)
- Simply Olay Body Wash ($2.97)
- Pantene Pro-V Damage Rescue Silky Moisture Whip ($6.99)
- Secret Outlast Deodorant ($3.99)
- Gillette Venus Embrace ($10.99)
- Gillette Venus + Olay Razor ($8.99)
In my case, that’s often involved doing my nails, applying a face mask (or two) and a rich hair mask like Herbal Essences Honey I’m Strong Rinse Out Treatment ($4.97), and eating a tub of ice cream while I wait for the ball to drop.
However you spend your New Year’s Eve, have a safe and happy one, and I’ll see you soon in 2013. 🙂
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,