A few things I learned (and in some cases relearned) in 2011:
- It’s easy to fall back into old habits, one of which for me was comparing myself to others, but it’s a recipe for misery cake and serves no useful purpose.
- Tim Gunn is my Obi-Wan! Whenever I find myself in a pickle, I close my eyes and ask, “What would Tim Gunn do?” And then (I like to imagine) he materializes — a life coach/style Jedi — to dispense golden nuggets of advice.
- Red lipstick could be the most powerful force in the Universe (even stronger than gravity). 🙂
So maybe that third one’s a slight exaggeration, but I will say that red lipsticks always make me feel better — especially bright, cheerful reds like NARS Heat Wave ($24).
It makes even mundane tasks, like trips to Trader Joe’s, a million times more fun. I wore it there a few days ago and made a new makeup-loving friend on the staff.
A bright reddish orange, Heat Wave breathes life into faces! I used to think it was too much like MAC Lady Danger, but then I looked at the two of them together and figured out the differences.
I see more red and less coral in Heat Wave than I see in Lady Danger, and I think the extra red tempers the former, toning it down a touch. I adore both shades equally but would wear them at different times — like larger-than-life Lady Danger to a cabaret and Heat Wave to the symphony.
As a NARS Semi Matte Lipstick, Heat Wave is also long-lasting, so it won’t leave you in the lurch, but at least for me, it can be drying, especially when it’s cold out, like it is now. To help with that, I try to always remember to prep my lips first with a layer of moisturizing lip balm.
If bright reddish orange lipsticks make you weak in the knees, check out NARS Heat Wave one of these days. 🙂
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,
The NARS Unsung Heroes series features some of my favorite products from the NARS permanent collection
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Heat Wave Lipstick
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Afghan Red Lipstick
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Mata Hari Blush
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Luster Blush
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Lovejoy Blush
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Pro-Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Amour Blush
- NARS Unsung Heroes: Gothika Lipgloss