This mug by Kate Spade succinctly expresses how I feel about this gluten-free glazed lemon blueberry loaf. 😋
But really, you could have it for tea, breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, snack time, and it totally works for dessert, too! (So basically all teh meals.)
The sweet blueberries beautifully balance with the tartness of the lemon, and the powdered sugar glaze is juuust enough. It’s an irresistible, ideal partnership of sharp and sweet.
Oh, and the texture?! A lot of gluten-free cakes and loaves have a dense, tough crumb, but this one’s light and fluffy.
What’s the secret?
It’s the sour cream! It makes each bite so silky that it yearns to melt in your mouth.
This cake is divine, but I have to warn you… There is a strong chance you’ll be bombarded with requests to bake it again and again and again. And again. I know this because when I first served it to El Hub and Connor Claire, they took a few bites and, with cake still stuffed in their cherub cheeks, asked me to make it again!
Gluten-Free Glazed Blueberry Loaf
Topped with a powdered sugar glaze, this loaf’s plump blueberries and tangy lemon notes create a perfect balance of sharp and sweet. It’s especially lovely as an afternoon treat with tea, but it works extremely well for breakfast too (I can attest to this!). If you don’t have any gluten-free 1-to-1 flour around, no worries. It’s just as delicious with full-gluten all-purpose flour.
- Prep time: 25 minutes
- Bake time: 50-65 minutes
- Total-ish time: 2 hours (including cooling time and glaze prep)
- Yield: 1 loaf (makes 8-10 nice slices)
INGREDIENTS FOR THE LOAF
- 1-1/2 cups (213 g) gluten-free 1-to-1 flour (I like King Arthur Gluten Free Measure for Measure, or Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup (71 grams) butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup (225 g) sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature (out of the fridge is fine, but they’ll take longer to incorporate)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup (115 grams) sour cream
- 1 cup (142 grams) blueberries
INGREDIENTS FOR THE GLAZE
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar (115 g)
- 1 tablespoon evaporated milk (you may not need all of it, and you can substitute with whole milk)